Door liner foam - where to buy it?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Door liner foam - where to buy it?

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

I've read on one of the forums I'm a member of that someone mentioned buying door liner foam. After much searching I can't find the posting nor can I find a supplier. I'm after the proper stuff because it's also a 'waterproof' membrane.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve.
not applicable
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is perfectly good to just use thick polythene held in place with either spay adhesive or double sided tape

regards malcolm
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Steve
If you need any of the thick polythene mentioned, give me a shout as I have quite a lot in my shed, plus some double sided carpet tape that should do the job. If you need a thin foam to go behind it, the underlay for laminate floors is cheap and readily available.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the foam underlay for laminate flooring water resistant, if not it would not be any good fitting it behind a plastic membrain as it will hold water

regards malcolm
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The idea is to keep any water inside the door so it drips out via the drain holes, if this membrane is missing or punctured then it can lead to wet carpets because the water can run down the inside of the door card and into the inside of the cabin. Hope I'm not explaining what you already know.

The current idea is to use spray adhesive to stick polythene to the door then cover that with thin foam as sound insulation.

Thanks Keith I may take you up on that.

Steve.
not applicable
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep thats right, i just miss read Kieth's sudgestion and thought ha ment to put the foam between the dopor and the polythene, which for obviuse reasons might be no good

dont get to high on that there spray adhesive TEA HE

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The foam is widespread used as packaging material, wrapping delicate goods.
Try your companys packaging dept.
Last edited by AndersDK on 28 Feb 2009, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I once bought some door liner foam from a Peugeot main dealer about 15 years ago. The storeman passed me on to a mechanic who managed to find some in the workshop. I don't know if they still sell it.

The other possibility is to use Fablon, the sticky-back plastic. They sell that in rolls in B & Q. I haven't seen any foam stuff but they do sell clear plastic with a frosted effect for covering bathroom/shed windows etc. I think it might be sticky enough and strong enough for a door panel. You'd have to glue some foam packaging on the top if you need the extra thickness.

Fablon do a range of finishes etc. I suppose it's possible that they might sell the foam stuff as well. I can't find any Fablon catalogues online though.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The foam I bought from the Peugeot dealer had red squares marked on the backing paper. I assume this is to help when trying to cut it square. When I searched for Fablon I found another supplier of sticky-back plastic called d-c-fix. Looking at the following page on their website it shows a sheet with the red squares on the back:-

http://www.d-c-fix-shop.de/

I reckon this might be the stuff I bought.

They're also at:-

www.d-c-fix.com

They've got loads of products but I can't see anything that looks like the foam I bought. However they do a green velour finish and a leather look finish. I'm not sure if these are thick enough for a door panel.

If you type d c fix into the search box on ebay you should see a lot of products. Most of them are sold by the Vinyl Depot:-

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/vinyldepot-retail

Maybe you could ask them if they sell any d-c-fix sticky-back foam.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Here's a link to somebody selling door liner membranes on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterproof-Door-L ... otohosting

Not sure if it's the foam stuff or not.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Here's a link to the proper self-adhesive foam membrane on a roll from Kent Europe:-

http://www.kenteurope.com/uk/shop/viewf ... &type=Auto

Paul