A Little Electrical help, if you please!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pleiades
My Cars:

A Little Electrical help, if you please!

Post by Pleiades »

On behalf of a customer of mine in Canada.

He has an XM V6 on this car he had what someone described as a fault with the idle actuator, the mechanics cure was to cut the wires and block off the unit and bin it.

Now the problem is that I have told him that the idle actuator rarely fails, it normally just needs a real good clean up using carb cleaner, he has done this and wants to re-fit the actuator but as the plug has been cut from the end of the wiring loom he now has 3 wires and does not know how to connect it.

Can anyone give me any readings on the ends of the wiring that may tell him what goes where and I shall pass it on to him.

Ta in advance for any info.

Regards
Martin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Martin,

Is this a late V6 with the ES9J4 engine or the earlier one with the PRV engine?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Jim.

At the moment the car in question is in Paraguay! The owner is sure that it is the earlier type.

The problem is that he has the idle actuator fitted back on but no plug to fit it up with, just 3 wires dangling where there used to be a plug.

If I remember right, all 3 wires are yellow, so this does not exactly help matters.

Regards
Martin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Martin,

I'll ask the question over on Club-XM and see if they can shed any light...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi again Jim.

I have just had confirmation that the car is 1992 and the wires are 2 x green and 1 x brown.

Regards
Martin.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Big Big Humble Apologies.

This is just a very blatent bump back to the top as it would be good to get some idea for this chap. :)

All done in the name of customer services, I have of course sent the chap a link to this forum so that he will be able to see that it's not me to thank but a helpfull guru.

Regards
Martin.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Martin -

This auxillary idle air valve (#432) has 3 connections :

1) +12V (from injector relay #807)
2) pulsed ground signal from computer
3) pulsed ground signal from computer.

It turns out that the position of the valve is determined by any equilibrum reached by the two opposite working ground signals from the computer.
This holds the valve firmly in the necessary position to keep the bypass air flowing - needed for any constant idle speed.

The valve itself will have 3 pins in the connector, of which any mid position connector pin sort of is the defacto standard connection for the +12V feed.

Turn on the ignition, but dont start engine.
Using a testlamp (NOT a voltmeter !) find the +12V feed of the 3 dangling wires.
My qualified guess it would be the brown wire.
Then connect this to to mid pin of the valve connector.

Now connect the 2 remaining green wires to the 2 remaining possible connector pins. Then test the engine :
1) if engine revs up in much too high idle rpm's and stay there, then the 2 green wires must be swapped.
2) if engine is reluctant to start and/or stalls immediately, again swap the 2 green wires
3) if engine runs steady on a sensible idle rpm, you have hit bulls eye in first try.

The 3-digit numbers refers to the schematic references.
I can only find the colour code for 3 green wires in any early V6 schematic I have.
Might be because of the engine management system variant you have is not what I have in the schematics, as there are (too damn ...) many variants for the XM engines over the years ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Anders.

Thanks very much for the info.

I am sure that this will help a lot and have passed the info onto the chap in Canada.

I am sure that he thanks you too.

Regards
Martin