Non citroen issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Non citroen issue

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Sorry this isn't about a Citroen car, it's just that I've found the people here to be extremely knowledgeable about all sorts of car problems and have always received great help. I also can't seem to find a good forum for faults with Ford cars. Sadly, due to financial constraints, I had to get rid of my Xantia 1.9TD in favour of my grandad's no longer wanted Ford Fiesta N reg 1.3 petrol, and so that's now my get-to-work car.

Problem started a few days ago, and I can get it to happen whenever I want at low speed: if I accelerate as sharply as anyone can in a 1.3, the bonnet lifts up as expected, dips back down again with a loud bang, as though having just driven over a big pothole in the road. I did this repeatedly on purpose to listen to the sound when crawling along at 10mph. Just accelerated and then took my foot off the pedal quickly, watched the bonnet suddenly jerk down and the loud knock.

I've never encountered this before. Had a Clio with worn bushes on the lower suspension strut create a small knock sound when braking sharply or going over a bump in the road, but never a really loud knock like this that can happen at low speed by just accelerating sharply. First noticed it when I put my foot down to quickly get past a parked car obstructing the lane before oncoming traffic got too close, and as I accelerated rapidly I heard the loud bang. Seems to be from the front of the car. At the same time, the car itself seemed to move from the bang. Don't know what it could be. Any ideas please?

Thanks,
James
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My first thought is the front dampers. Have you bounce-tested the front of the car?
deian

Post by deian »

it's something with the suspension.. my first guess would be the strut top/s.

there will be some kind of screw/bolt under a little cap inside the engine bay where the strut will be stuck to, take the dust cap off and check how tight the bolt is.

failing that, lift the front up so there is no pressure on the springs and have a play with the struts and arms and anything related to and tied to the suspension/steering linkages etc, check for any obvious loose bolts, and check with a chunky screwdriver for any play in the heavier parts... bottom arm to chassis etc.

if that all passes, then it may well be an engine gearbox mounting... hard to spot these without that chunky screwdriver again, yank the mountings, compare it with others and if one feels surprisingly light then it could well be that one. Finally hold the engine and shake it with all your strength and weight.

Don't think it will be a driveshaft though. Let us know what comes to light.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Engine mount problem :wink: :?:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Problem is now solved. As it had to go in for its MOT (another whammy of over £200 :( - rear right wheel bearing replacement, handbrake cable went 2 days before MOT, and middle exhaust box blowing) I asked them to sort out this fault. It was indeed the engine mount causing the loud bang upon acceleration. Everyone got it right. What with working all the time, I'm getting lazy and thought it easier to get the garage to diagnose and fix - never changed a mount anyway and didn't look terribly straightforward, and he did it for £20 and that included the engine mount (think he just changed the rubber block in it from looks of it). Going nicely now and I can accelerate hard.

Thanks for all the suggestions. One day I'll have to try and find time to start doing my own repairs again...
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

vince wrote:Engine mount problem :wink: :?:
I was going to say this myself, when it happened to me on my old fez the alt cut thru the rad hose :lol:
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)