Low front on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bruno
My Cars:

Low front on Xantia

Post by bruno »

Ok, here are the symptoms for this head scratcher:

Car much too low. I used to get 10cm clearance from the top of the tyre to the wing cover. From a few days ago, this has halved. Worse, front suspension is hitting the bump stops on pretty much any irregularity. I've found out today that I can make it hit the bump by pushing the front down.
Front height corrector doesn't seem to be working, but I can change the suspension around the 4 settings by moving the lever. Upper and tallest suspension positions work fine.

I dunno if it's related, but there is a fair bit of play in the steering rack. I've set to change the bearing in the left side and recondition the rack.

I've looked at the height corrector and it looks externally fine (if a bit dusty): clamp on the antiroll bar is doing its job, and so the plastic link. After despressurizing, car rises after a minute or so. I've thought of taking the height corrector out for cleaning, but what else am I supposed to be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Xantia SX mk. 1 2.0 16v petrol hidropneumatique
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you done a complete LHM service recently ?

It would be wise to ensure your LHM oil and reservoir filters are clean, before you overhaul any of the parts working off the LHM oil.

I agree you will have to remove the front HC & bracket and overhaul it.
Usually the HC valve itself is contaminated with fine rubber sludge from the rubber hoses all over in the system.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bruno
My Cars:

Post by bruno »

Hi Anders,

Yes, the LHM is new, about 4 months old. It is cloudy, but not dirty. I'd change it again, but LHM is pricey around here (smth like 10 euros a litre).

I was curious on how this happened so suddenly and dramatically. Maybe a clot of rubber got caught in the H/C. I'm feeling like Dr. House whenever I think what is going on with this car.
bruno
My Cars:

Post by bruno »

Well, I've put the car on stands today and took a good look at the height corrector. Since the pipes nuts didn't cooperate, I've managed to take the the height corrector out and cleaned it out.

As I suspected, no rust, and no mechanism was seized. However I've noted that the metal pin linking the brace on the torsion bar and the plastic link was tearing apart. It seemed odd that the metal pin would give out before the plastic link, but at least I'm hopeful now that there's nothing wrong with the hidraulics.