Xantia power steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KennyW
donor 2020

Xantia power steering rack

Post by KennyW »

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, What is the pressure that is applied to the power ram on Xantia's :?:

Kenny

ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Can you elaborate please!

KennyW
donor 2020

Post by KennyW »

Active8,

I was wondering what the pressure was to move the hydraulic ram on the steering rack of my Xantia through the pinion valve.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Kenny

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not a huge amount I believe Kenny, nothing approaching main system pressure that's for sure.

The ram needs LHM in volume more than pressure.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I wondered why they had devoted so many pump cylinders to it compared to the suspension and brakes, seemed contradictory to me, but then I nose nuthin'

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

That's a reflection of CJ's comment; it needs to move bulk fluid in a hurry.

My understanding is that pressure experiences transient spikes in a PAS setup. The connections all have to be capable of enduring these with a factor of safety on top (allowing for wear and other minor mishaps).

You could easlily get the service (neutral/steady state) pressures with a gauge plumbed into the line. But the spikes might be so quick that seeing the tip is a matter of extrapolation for most...

Regards, Adam.

bruno

Post by bruno »

I think the 6 pistons is to ensure more flow at a constant pressure for the steering. The suspension and brakes have the regulator to keep the pressure.

@addo, the usual pressure gauge is very slow to react (seconds, at least, since they work with internal springs), and the usual 6+2 pump is putting out something like 100 pressure spikes per second (6 per revolution) to the PAS system. I'd expect the gauge to give the average pressure anyway.

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades »

The ram should be getting full flow at a constant 150- from the pinion, this should drop to almost nothing when the steering is held at a full lock, then come back again as soon as the wheel is moved.

Note........

Been off for a while, you would not believe the troubles that a computor can cause...

Regards
Martin

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great to see you back Martin :D
Pleiades wrote: Been off for a while, you would not believe the troubles that a computor can cause...
I can! They keep me in a job :lol: :lol:

Martin, I need to have a chat with you about the availability of spare O rings for hydractive electrovalves. I'll give you a ring during the week...