LHM tank empty but......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

LHM tank empty but......

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi,
I have a wierd problem, my LHM tank on my mkII Xantia is alomost empty, but, I canot find a leak or any sign of lhm fluid anywhere. No tell tale marks of fluid leaking, no drip marks, of fluid marks that have been blown when driving. I have moved the car up and down several times to get fluid moving through the system return pipes.
Now I have had 3 Xantia's and 2 Bx's and had leaks on them and there are always tell tale marks.
Any ideas??????
Could it be the cold weather causing the fluid to shrink in any way????

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Even with super cold weather it would never shrink that much even from the empty mark.

I would get it topped up and then lower the car and raise it and see if any of the return pipes are leaking or the tank itself maybe?? you would normally see the evidence of a leak though...

Maybe steam clean around the block with teh HP pump and see if its that??
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I agree with what you say KP, but there are no signs at all of any leaks on the car. This has got me baffled. There should be signs of leakage from where ever the leak would be, but nope. Stop light came on o warn me. This is wierd. Couldn't even be a 'bubble' in the system that has been purged because the car has a really smooth ride.......
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Knackered accumulator and anti sink sphere can consume a reasonable amount of LHM. It's not soaking into the carpet from the brake valve is it....? And did you put a load of weight in it - this takes a lot of fluid too.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is tyhe car parked on the level or sloped up or down hill, if the later i would park it on level ground and put it up on it's highest setting, then only check via the fluid level indicater,

regards malcolm
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

now thats a point,
I have had a problem with stiff steering in the morning, as in lack of assistance. So, that could be the accum sphere couldnt it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

wrinklet1 wrote:now thats a point,
I have had a problem with stiff steering in the morning, as in lack of assistance. So, that could be the accum sphere couldnt it?
Nope.

The acc sphere has nothing to do with the servo assist steering.
The pump has 2 separate high pressure outputs : 1 for suspension and brakes (via regulator & acc sphere), 1 for steering directly.

If the main acc sphere is flat, you should have the dreaded mad ticking from the regulator (sounds as it is the pump) because of the resultant very little hysteresis.

I agree that the mysterious LHM disappearring must be caused by either external leaks or leaking spheres consuming the oil.
Each sphere can hold at least 0.4L, so a couple of tired or flat spheres may soon drink a lot from the reservoir.

However large consuming of LHM is most commonly an external leak.
Try cover the park place under the car with cardboard boxes from your local supermarket.
The green stuff is very easy to recognise from any other dripping.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Underneath the car is clear of any fluid on the floor. I just cant understand it. The rear sphers are new, the ride is smooth and soft as it should be. I bounced the front wings and thay act as they should do.
And your right anders, the steering is on a different circuit.
There isnt a mad ticking either. The inside of the engine bay is dry!!!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check the bellows on the steering rack.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have chesked the bellows, they are ok. But wondering with the cold weather if one of the rubber balloons in a sphere has racked and knackered because of the cold???
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very strange! A ruptured membrane will only allow the fluid to go into the sphere and that wouldn't hold a reservoirs worth. I would just fill it up again and see what happens.

I wish I hadn't got any fluid under my cars - they all leak! :(
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

maybe two spheres have gone, but wouldnt the ride be hard, because it isnt
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

wrinklet1 wrote:Maybe two spheres have gone, but wouldn't the ride be hard, because it isnt
Not if the anti-sink and accumulator are to blame.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is odd. Have a check under the drivers carpet in case the dosuer valve rubber end-cap has split and LHM is leaking unseen under the carpet.

An LHM leak does not always leave a clear trace as it can evaporate. I noted this when looking for the leak on my V6. When running it was dripping but stop and leave it for a day and there would be no trace. This is where parking the car on sheets of cardboard would be valuable as evidence will then be seen.

Is the car a hydractive model? If so, it's worth checking the hydractive electrovalves as these tend to leak only when running (i.e. suspension in soft mode) and can leave very little trace if the leak is noy very severe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ok guys,
Found the leak,
Passenger side rear wheel area dripping lhm. Not sure if it is braking or suspensions piping . It has used about 1ltr of fluid in a day so i think it is the brake hose. it seems to be spraying at the pin end not the sphere end.