Diagnostic Equipmnt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Diagnostic Equipmnt?

Post by Stekelly »

Can anyone recommend a decent code reader for the Xantia? Or better still a full diagnostic handheld device or relatively cheap Car to PC cable?

I've come across the draper unit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-AX-BX-ZX- ... 240%3A1318 but was hoping for something more advanced, like this http://www.launchtech.co.uk/single%20pa ... link3.html or a cable to connect to a laptop and software.

I assume the Xantia is an OBD2 connection?

Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT came across this guy on ebay , anyone got any recommendations of a specific model or even know if a particular one will work ? http://stores.ebay.com/DIYDiagnostics

I like the look of this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIRELESS ... QQtcZphoto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Diagnostic Equipmnt?

Post by CitroJim »

Stekelly wrote:I assume the Xantia is an OBD2 connection?
No, sadly not. Despite late MK2 Xantias having what looks like a standard OBDII diagnostic connector, the protocal used is very much unique to Citroen/Peugeot.

The only diagnostics equipment that will read the Xantia (or any other pre-2001 petrol Citroen/Peugeot) is the Citroen Lexia, the Citroen ELIT and a few very expensive third-party devices.

The equivilent Peugeot tool is the DIAG2000 which canbe turned into a Citroen Lexia if a bit of craftiness is employed.

All are eyewateringly expensive unfortunately and as yet, few are in private hands.

Those cheap OBDII scanners work fine on post-2001 petrols and post-2004 diesels as a result of the regulations saying all vehicles must use the same, common protocol. Until then, manufacturers were free to use their own and Citroen/Peugeot most certainly did!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Re: Diagnostic Equipmnt?

Post by Stekelly »

CitroJim wrote:
Stekelly wrote:I assume the Xantia is an OBD2 connection?
No, sadly not. Despite late MK2 Xantias having what looks like a standard OBDII diagnostic connector, the protocal used is very much unique to Citroen/Peugeot.

The only diagnostics equipment that will read the Xantia (or any other pre-2001 petrol Citroen/Peugeot) is the Citroen Lexia, the Citroen ELIT and a few very expensive third-party devices.

The equivilent Peugeot tool is the DIAG2000 which canbe turned into a Citroen Lexia if a bit of craftiness is employed.

All are eyewateringly expensive unfortunately and as yet, few are in private hands.

Those cheap OBDII scanners work fine on post-2001 petrols and post-2004 diesels as a result of the regulations saying all vehicles must use the same, common protocol. Until then, manufacturers were free to use their own and Citroen/Peugeot most certainly did!

Ah crap. :cry: Cheers Jim.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The only third party scanner I know of that works is a Sykes ACR4, to get this with the relevant pods/leads to read engine, airbags/ABS will cost at least £200 even from eBay, I have one of those as well as an ELIT and Lexia :oops: for the money a Lexia is the by far the best, expect to pay £350 upwards from eBay.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What's the deal with the rather pricey Lexia type stuff from China, on Fleabay? The ones where they have the PC lead plus a bunch of CD's. I've always assumed (based on origin) it's pirated software.

Is it a total scam, or just a way to milk the under-informed?

Regards, Adam.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

There are some on ebay at the mo from £350+

The ones that always interested me where the ones tha came on DVD or CD. if they need a laptop or PC to work and require usb 1.1 ports then surely it means the cable is supplied but no mention is made of it??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive the ones on fleebay from CHINA are copys and apparently dont/cant do all a genuine UK X dealers device can,

were abouts are you as i have a PUG DIAG 2000 which i was trying to sell, which didn't meet my reserve,

but im undesided if to sell now as i have used this one more than my DIS LEXIA (converted DIAG courtesy of Jim)

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i belive the ones on fleebay from CHINA are copys and apparently dont/cant do all a genuine UK X dealers device can,
They're clones of the Lexia 3 interface pod and software. Indeed Malcolm, I understand they have issues reading the older Citroens and will not come with the adaptor to connect the earlier 30 pin diagnostic socket to the interface pod. Even with a suitable socket adaptor, they may not understand an early Xantias.

For anything pre 2000, the Lexia 2 is the choice and virtually a must for any keen owner.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

Look at this link
http://www.autotec-direct.com/maxidiag- ... -531-p.asp

It does what it says on the tin. It will read and can reset fault codes from all Renault, Peugeot & Citroen vehicles with the 16 pin eobd style diagnostic socket whither or not the vehicle is eobd compliant. Live data can only be read from eobd compliant vehicles (according to the instructions) but I got it to read live data from HDI vehicles which couldn't be accessed by other eobd diagnostic tools. Sadly there is no adaptor that I know of for earlier 30 pin diagnostic sockets.
As far as I know the price includes VAT & delivery for UK and Ireland. I rand the seller & left a message. He called me back, was very helpful and gave good advice.[/url]
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've access to a tool that will run basic stuff - but, for example, can't cycle the cooling fans like a Lexia or read an Hydractive ECU.

How does the FR704 mesh with a suspension ECU? Well, or not at all?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The Sykes ACR4 does all that in addition to having the option of using a 30 pin diagnostic lead.

AFAIK no aftermarket equipment (even the Bosch KTS200) can access Hydractive ECU's. Some can carry out basic actuator tests but only dealer specific tools go the whole way such as turning on cooling fans etc.

The first time anyone observes the amount of information flowing to and from an ECU (Datastream) such as a HDi :shock: it comes as quite an eye opener, literally :lol:
Last edited by DickieG on 11 Feb 2009, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

With software downloads - such as the revised AL4 software - how hoes the Lexia work?

Is the program resident on the most up-to-date disc set, or do you need a live connection and dealer authorisation keys to get a direct feed from somewhaere?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:With software downloads - such as the revised AL4 software - how hoes the Lexia work?

Is the program resident on the most up-to-date disc set, or do you need a live connection and dealer authorisation keys to get a direct feed from somewhere?
Software downloads can either be on discs or via live connection from the manufacturer, to obtain the latter you obviously need an account.

With my V6 the gearbox happened to be running an older version of software than was available from my Lexia, updating it was a (relatively) simple procedure.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

Hi All
The FR704 will not access the suspension ecu. It does the engine, ABS, airbag and automatic transmission. On pre eobd cars it will only read and clear fault codes. If the car is eobd compliant (and as I have also discovered on SOME non eobd compliant) it will also read and display live data for example intake air temperature, mass airflow coolant temp etc. It makes a reasonable eobd scanner for non french cars as well.
It will not actuate fans, solenoid valves etc.
I hope this info is of some use. As I said good advice can be had by making a phone call. I am sure that there are probably suppliers here in Europe other than autotech direct.
See email below from the manufacturer

"Hi Seamus,

FR704 is a tool designed to read/ clear codes and retrieve ECU information on engine, ABS, airbags and A/T of Citroen, Peugeot and Renault. And it can work on all OBDII/EOBD vehilces.

We offer a standard OBDII/EOBD connector for these item and we do not supply pre-OBDII connectors as most of French vehicles are OBDII compliant.

Sorry to inform that we do not have a sensor list stating from which sensor the tool can read live data. The live data function is available only on OBDII vehicle.

FR704 is able to test vehicles with Bosch EDC 15 and the Siemens SID 801 injection. Please see the attached file for details.

Sorry to inform that FR704 is not able to activate actuators, however, MaxiDAS DS608/DS708 is able to do these functions. They can do all service-related functions on all electronic systems. They come out first in mid-November with NISSAN, TOYOTA, HONDA and VW.

Any questions, please let me know.

Lizzy Wu

Sales Manager
Autel Intelligent Tech. Co., Ltd.
Tel: 86 755 8614 7778
Fax: 86 755 8614 7758
Email:lizzy@auteltech.com
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I bought a clone directly from China. Works great on the C5 or the XMs. 'Relatively' cheap too.

Steve.
not applicable