Xantia Brake valve seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia Brake valve seal

Post by RichardW »

Looks like the seal has gone on the brake valve on my Sister's Xantia. Anyone remember how to change it? ISTR that it can be done by 'just' undoing the valve mounts, and then there's enough room to get the seal out. Is it just a push fit in the end of the valve? Is this a job on a par with the clutch clip???
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Do you mean the diaphraghm on the front of the dosuer Richard? I guess she has LHM in the drivers footwell. Watch that as LHM is very effective at melting the sound deadening pads in the footwell and making a terrible mess. Not only that, it soaks into the carpet and it's a heck of a job to get out. The car ends up smelling of LHM for a long time....

Now, I believe it's possible to undo the securing studs from within the car and to draw the dosuer back just sufficiently to do the job without disconnecting any pipes. I've never done it myself but can see some cars will be easier than others. TDs and Activas represent a challange as the inlet manifolds/air piping do a very good job of hiding the dosuer whereass in some others, notably the pertrols and (remarkably) the V6, access is very good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd say on a RHD car the job is on par with the (in-) famous clutch clip, if not even worse :roll:
The doseur valve must be unscrewed from engine bay side and the spacer containing the dreaded RHD dummy spring catched when the valve is free.

Then using a hooked tool you can play with the retainer ring getting it out of the rubber knob, before the rubber knob is freed off.
The retainer sits in a smallish recess making it a challenge to remove ...

A nice dry and warm garage is definately preferred for the job :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have done these by removing the two nuts which hold the dozer valve to the bulkhead, these are behind the brake pedel and if memery serves they are 11mm socket size,

now firm but gently eas the dozer into the engine bay, untill the two long studs are clear to allow you the carefully rotate the dozer without damaging the hydraulic pipe, rotate till you can get at the rubber kniple/cap (oooh la la), them prize out the aluminium colar from inside the end of the dozer, its not the colar that has the locater this is on the rubber cap, once the colar is out just pull the cap out, you might have to use a very small screw driver between the edge of the dozer and the cap to releas it from the reases, now just pop it back together

ps.
it will pay to buy the retaining ring at the same time as the cap,

if you dealer tells you they cant find it tell them to look up one for a BX or CX as they are all tyhe same

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

95.640.067 PROTECTOR RUBBER - C001 (rubber knob)
5.424.455 DOSEUR RING 27X32-7 (retaining ring for rubber knob)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks Gents - I found a thread where Malcolm described doing it in situ earlier, doesn't sound like much fun! Yes LHM in the footwell - I wouldn't worry too much about that - this is a 93 car that has been somewhat abused inside by her 2 year old and dog recently! It's a 1.8i 8v so access shouldn't be too bad. TBH I doubt I will tackling it, since she lives 200+ miles away :lol: Forewarned is forearmed if she decides to get it fixed rather than calling it a day though.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard it will be a walk in the park on a sunny day on the 1.8i 8v, as you can almost climb down the back of the engine there is som much space

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

citronut wrote:Richard it will be a walk in the park on a sunny day on the 1.8i 8v, as you can almost climb down the back of the engine there is som much space
Funny how perceptions change isn't it? My Dad bought this car in 1994 when it was 1 year old, and he moved up from a BX 16RS - and we marvelled at the time at how complex it looked under the bonnet, with cables going into boxes, and pipes everywhere. Now, compared to the HDi 110, or even the 'humble' 1.9TD, it looks like an A series in a Moggy engine bay!

There's a friedly garage in her village that will probably be able to tackle it - it shouldn't break the bank for a couple of hours labour, plus £20 worth of parts.
Richard W