Xantia alternators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

Xantia alternators

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Got my new Xantia home this afternoon, however it would seem I have charging problems, which I'm pretty sure are the fault of the alternator.

I was going to pop to the scrapyard in search of another, but a little research suggests that there are many different model numbers of alternator. My car is a '96 Dimension TD with aircon, what other Xantia's/Peugeots/Other Citroens could yield a suitable replacement?

If it makes things easier I wouldn't object to removing the air-con compressor if this would give me more options...

Cheers,
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You may be able to fix that, or get it fixed.
The usual problem with alternators is the diode pack (rectifier) and it is unlikely to be a very difficult job. A decent auto-electrical workshop should be able to 'rectify' the problem for around £20 (WAG)
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I could really do with having it usable for work tomorrow, is it possible to fit the brush box/diode pack from the other varients of Xantia alternator?

Cheers,
Jonathan
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Couldn't say. The above was an experience with a Toyota alternator.
The dealer wanted £600 for a new one, the auto-electrical place fixed it for £8 and it was still going fine several years later when the car was totalled.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, it should read near enough 14 volts, it it does and you are still having battery problems, check the tightness of the alternator belt, if that' OK suspect the battery.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Peter.N. wrote:Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, it should read near enough 14 volts, it it does and you are still having battery problems, check the tightness of the alternator belt, if that' OK suspect the battery.
The car is not charging at all, belt is good and tight, and electrical connections are good. I'm pretty sure it is the alternator.

Thanks tho.
Jonathan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Fair enough :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia Alternators are a minefield Jonathan. Your 1.9TD could have two different types depending on what sort of aux belt tensioner arrangement you have.

I've always personally replaced alternators with new ones, it being pretty critical, and find the best way is to take the old one to a good factor and match it up with the offered replacements to ensure it's the right one.

I've had a nasty experience where the alternator looked right but its pulley ran about 3mm further out and pulled the aux belt one groove off the HP pump.

I've never had a lot of success in repairing them and when given the job of removing and replacing them, a new one, despite the cost, makes sense (to me any any rate!).

Don't, whatever you do, remove the AC compressor. It won't help and besides the alternator will just come out without to much disassembly. Remove the intercooler hose and it'll just and just come out with a bit of flexing of the top hose.

Check the seals on the HP pump are not weeping and dropping LHM on the alternator. It seems to reduce their life.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thanks Jim, that was very helpful.

Alas, inspection today revealed that the HP is oozing on the alternator, and I'm sure that will be what killed it off.

Given that I didn't pay much for the car, and that I haven't driven enough in it to prove it, I am rather reluctant to shell out for a new alternator *and* HP pump, so I will at least investigate the local scrapyards (I went out last night and didn't manage to get up early enough to catch them today :oops: ). Strangely, although the car has aircon, it has a 70 amp alternator, and given that it has the early type of tensioner (with the idle 'twixt crank pulley and air-con compressor) I am optimistic it may be the same as the 70 amp alternator fitted to ZX's and 306's, but I will compare serial numbers before I fight to get the damn thing off...

For the time being, I am using the old two battery system, with a charged battery waiting to swap stowed in the passenger footwell. Not ideal, but should get me through the next week.
Jonathan
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If the HP is oozing from the large nuts with the metal pipes screwed into them, then the fix is less than £1 for a new o-ring. No need to replace the HP.
As for the alternator, how long are you planning on keeping the car for?
With minor maintenance they'll run and run and run, so with that in mind £80 for an exchange alt (think mine may have been less) isn't much to pay.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Alas, inspection today revealed that the HP is oozing on the alternator, and I'm sure that will be what killed it off.
I have not had the pleasure of diagnosing an LHM soaked alternator, but there shouldnt be too many components that would be sensitive to oil.

My guess would be that the slip rings and brushgear get gummed up, with a paste of LHM and brush dust. Maybe dismantling and cleaning would make a cure?
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Xac wrote:If the HP is oozing from the large nuts with the metal pipes screwed into them, then the fix is less than £1 for a new o-ring. No need to replace the HP.
As for the alternator, how long are you planning on keeping the car for?
With minor maintenance they'll run and run and run, so with that in mind £80 for an exchange alt (think mine may have been less) isn't much to pay.
That's interesting, I will have to check out pr net; I didn't realise that there were replaceable seals. I'll clean the HP down and try and ascertain if this is where it's weeping from. As far as how long I may keep it goes, that really depends. I bought it because I needed a car to replace my BX (on which the engine died) quickly and cheaply, and I am loathed to spend much on it until I feel more confident in it's potential longevity; I don't want to shell out too much until I have done a couple of long trips in it and am sure the engine etc. is sound, and the car is worth investing in.

Cheers,
Jonathan
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Swap the regulator and brush gear you may even find your old bx regulator may do. The regulators are all very similar within a manufacturers range.
just look at the slip rings and check that they are not breaking up, a little fine wet and dry can sometimes do wonders.
Check that the brushes are long enough and are free to slide up and down.
As Xac said most will perform 100% again with a little love and care.
good luck.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

If you find that the carbon brushes have worn so that they are no longer in contact with the slip rings, then this may help..

Good luck

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=9731
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Kubel
My Cars:

Post by Kubel »

Is it possible to access the diode pack with the alternator in situ, or is it necessary to remove the alternator?

96 1.9 TD Xantia