bit of oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy c5
My Cars:

bit of oil?

Post by andy c5 »

Hi,
just noticed a bit of oil at the bottom of the intercooler so my mate took off the bottom pipe but there was hardly any oil in the pipe so i took off the top pipe and there was a little oil in the one that connects to the intake is there a way that the oil could be coming in from one of the little pipes or something around the top of the engine?my macanic sead that all turbos leek a little oil but it seems to be coming from the top not the bottom and it seems to be getting out through my intercooler but i can get a new one for £80.Do any of you have any clue as what this could be
thanks in advance andy :D
OH YEH ITS STILL A GREAT CAR
Last edited by andy c5 on 05 Feb 2009, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Andy -

The intercooler does exactly what it suggests by its designation :
cools down air, and any fumes mixed with the air, between turbo and intake.

The sump is vented through the air intake, thus oil fumes enters the turbo and intercooler.
The fumes then condensates in the intercooler and thats why you will always see some oil in the intercooler.

Its completely normal.

The turbo does not leak. If it did the turbo would cause engine run away on diesel engines, running on the hot engine oil.
It does happens at times :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andy c5
My Cars:

Post by andy c5 »

Thanks anders,
so i will just get my intercooler changed,The guy that is going to suply my new intercooler sead he will repair my old one for free if its not to badly broken so if anyone needs it they can pick it up.
I think £80 is cheep for a brand new one?
Thanks andy