Front height corrector linkage issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Front height corrector linkage issues

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote: My front HC never worked properly from the time I got the car ( a good 6 months ago), causing the front to ride high and for it not to come back down again from the high setting on the lever unless you went right down to low and then back up again. A good exterior clean/free-off and hydraflush and new LHM has finally got it working properly again but not immediately. Yesterday in fact it started working well. I only realised when the ride improved considerably and the car sat lower at the front!!!
Right, I was going to PM Jim, but I might aswell open to everyone :D

For a bit of backstory, look at my blog. Basically im sorting out my front HC as it won't come down to normal from high.

I understand from the quoted statement that the suspension in your case had to be put fully low and the come up to normal? Could you confirm that Jim?
My problem could be slightly different as if the suspension is set to high and I want to come down to normal, I just have to bring the manual control lever to low until the front of the car begins to go down then set the manual control lever to normal and it will then correct itself to normal height.

I've lubricated and cleaned the linkage and everything appears to be free (springs, rods and the bits that have large movements), but then again due to the limited time I had, there still is a bit crud about but its all free unless something is stopping the main rod that doesn't move much...hmmm I'll sleep on it and have a tinker tomorrow.

If it was the actual HC itself, I wouldn't get ANY movement would I?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Re reading my post last night, It appears more 'thinking out loud' than anything :lol: maybe should have gone in my blog :oops:

If I can't free it on my next go, I think the height corrector carrier will have to come off for a good soaking in diesel.

The only question I want to ask is - what happened to a siezed height corrector - not the carrier/linkage?
There wouldn't be any movement at all would there?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that was right Kev, if I went from high to normal, the front would not fall. It wold only fall if I then went to low and came back up again. In fact, if I set the lever to low so that the front would begin to sink and then returned the lever to normal, it would contine to fall to normal.

The real problem was one of lost-motion in the linkages. I found this when the front fell right down to low whilst running around town one evening. The plastic linkage had come off but not it the usual way; it cam off complete with the ball that is rivetted to the HC linkage itself. It had been loose for a while I guess and was causingt eh lost-motion in the HC.

If it's still not good Kev, you'll need to take the HC right off, dismantle it and gove it a good clean-up and inspection. You may even need to replace the complete cradle as I did.

Removingt he fromt HC is not a nice job. Basocally, you need to disconnect the height lever rod, disconnect the three steel hydraulic pipes (use new seals on reassembly) and the plastic leakage return. Then remove the two studs holding the HC cradle to the subframe and work the HC out.

You'll find the three hydraulic unions are tight and it's essential to use a good 8mm flare-nut spanner on them as an open ener will invariably round them off. Also, even with the unions undone, the pipes will be stuck fast. You need to ease them out gently using pliers with pads on the jaws to avoid damaging them.

When reassenbling the pipes and unions, use new seals and be so very careful not to cross-thread them when screwing them back into the alloy HC body.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get the HC mechanism freed off with lots of WD-40 and working them backwards and forwards as removing and replacing a front HC is not a nice job although on a standard Xantia, it's a tad simpler than on an Activa...

In the picture below, you can see the two spring-loaded linkages at right-angles to each other on item 1 that need to be very free to move. Due to the very small movements of the Hydraulic part of the HC itself, any stiffness or lost-motion in the linkages can wreak havoc with its operation.

Good to have a chat with you last evening Kev :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Mine does the same thing. I have to move the lever past normal, then back again. That is sufficient to drop the front to normal. Otherwise it stays at high. :oops:

I'll get it sorted one day!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

My front HC is doing it oposite, as in stay low if i don't raise the lever to high, then drop the lever to normal, then you have the propper height and smootness

But in regards to this current season, no wonder it's gonna seize up i guess.
However it so thight and narrow, on the V6 Activa, so flipin hard to see anything, even get your hands up there :evil:

Does anyone have the propper/certified solution to the problem, what grease did they originally think of, e.g servicebulletin

I gues just bye a new one and be done with it. :?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Suggest a Silicone type brake grease once freed off It`s the only thing that resists the salt around ATM.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I might brave it and take it off when the weather gets warmer!

Im planning on a cambelt/waterpump change and possibly a clutch change in the summer... :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair