C5 Cambelt Query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andydykes
My Cars:

C5 Cambelt Query

Post by andydykes »

Hi,
When should the cambelt be replaced on a C5 1.8LX. Car has 78k on the clock, I have managed to contact previous owner and he is not aware of it being done. Is it an easy job or best left to a garage? :(

Any suggestions for independants Wirral, Mersyside area? (Not the one in Wallasey though my Xantia died 6 months after a cambelt changed and the tensioner collapsed causing loads of damage)
:evil:
Cheers
Andy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine was scheduled for 100,000 miles. Bought the car at 112,000 and couldn't be sure it had been done so had it done at 120,000 ish.
It had been done but bodged somewhat and wouldn't have lasted until the next change.
Also had water pump, pulleys and tensioners (both belts) done at the same time at an independent that I have used for years. This along with a full service, new exhaust parts, bottom ball joints and injectors removed and new washers fitted, came in at under £400.

It is generally recommended that the cambelt, tensioner and waterpump be changed at 80,000 miles.

Petrol engine may vary a bit. As to doing it yourself, shouldn't be any worse than a Xantia, probably a bit easier as there is slightly more room under the bonnet.
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

I must be on borrowed time now as my car has 81k. Due to lack of funds toying with the idea of changing the cam-belt on my 1.8 16v C5 Any special tools required or things to look out for? I assume it is a good idea to change followers and tensioner at the same time? Is the water pump absolutely necessary?

Anyone in the Merseyside area like to offer help or support? Tea/coffee and biscuits provided :)
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS