Snow... aargh! Xantia loses wipers and windows!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Burly Chassis

Snow... aargh! Xantia loses wipers and windows!

Post by Burly Chassis »

Not a good idea to get into the car, after 2 inches of (wet & heavy) snow have fallen, and turn on the wipers. I know this now, but I didn't an hour ago, when I did it. :(

I could have spent a couple of seconds clearing the windscreen with those two pinkish paddle-like appliances that I have at the end of my arms. But I didn't. :(

Now the wipers don't work, and just for extras, neither do the electric windows. :oops:

Here are the forensics:

Car is a 1999 Xantia Hdi Estate. Wipers moved one third of a wipe across then stopped. Fuse check (done quickly in blizzard) seemed to show wiper fuse unblown. Rear wiper runs fine (same fuse possibly?). Didn't check windows fuse. Owner is an idiot. Temperature gauge in wing mirror says it's 29 degrees centigrade outside. Temperature gauge is bust. Owner is still an idiot.

Is there's anyone out there with a smaller brain than me, then hey, turn the wipers on, it'll be fine. If there's anyone out there with a bigger brain than me (5628 registered users last time I looked), could you help? Please? Pretty please with snow on top?
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Make it snow AND a cherry and its a deal :lol:

The leccy windows really don't like cold icy weather. Can you hear the motor trying to pull the windows down at all? Don't hold the switch down for longer than you have to or something else might stop working.

Regarding the wipers, im not sure what the usual thing is to go wrong with these, is there some sort of gearing that could have slipped maybe?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It could be the motor itself is done for; is there a sickly melted electrics smell lurking under the screen scuttle trim? There's not much that would slip; the drive output spindle is tapered with a 13mm nut securing it and if that did manage to let go you'd hear the motor turning.

Chances are, the motor has been goosed! Don't compound problems ruining your windscreen pulling the scuttle trim off with its mastic stronger than the
laminate!

Andrew
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

To tidy up this thread, I've just resolved the same problem on my latest HDi (ignition light on but the clock and outside temperature continued to work) all down to a blown fuse no 30.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH