Xantia TD Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Xantia TD Gearbox

Post by BrianM »

Hello All,
Long time since my last post - just shows how troublefree like is with a Xantia :)

I know something similar has come up a few times before but here goes anyway.

97 Xantia TD 216K on the clock but gearbox in it with over 310K on it. For the past 10K or so there has been a drone coming in to the box in all gears but recently has got a lot worse - gearoil changed about 30K ago.
Now quandry is - have still got original gearbox (crunchy 3rd gear so changed for gearbox currently in it - this one has about 140K on it ). I have another gearbox too - history unknown but donor car has > 250K on it

Can anyone advise as to best route to go for a (would like to think !) competent diyer ie -
Is box in car repairable in situ ? if not is synchro hard to replace in box that is already out or should I risk replacing current box with the unknown box, or should i look for a low mileage in a scrapyard. Have changed box and clutch before so know the pitfalls !

thanks

Brian
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

If it was me id put in a lower mileage box and weigh the others in for scrap, you might break a couple of euro's over? :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Brian,

A constant whine in all gears sounds like the bearings are starting to fail, particularly the taper rollers. The final drive bearing too may be wearing.

The 'boxes themselves are fairly DIY friendly but a small number of special tools are needed. You can make them if you have access to a lathe. Most inportantly though, a press is almost essential in order to remove the bearings.

If do replace bearings, do note that you may require to rehim to achieve the correct pre-load.

Despite some saying it can, the 'box has got to come out to be repaired.

Here is a pictorial guide to stripping a BE3 'box.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks

Had a look at the procedure and am a bit scared ! Think I might chance the unknown mileage box I have or look for a low mileage from the scrapyard. Use the car for in an out to work 50 mile roundtrip so a breakdown on that journey wouldn't be the end of the world but sods law says that it would be on the longer trips that it would eventually give up.

Brian
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Im sure someone on here has a put a 90bhp HDi box in their TD and gets lower revs when cruising so if your doing the miles it may be worth it, adn quieter too....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its highly unlikely that your gearbox will actually 'breakdown' on you all the while it has oil in it, it will just get progressively more noisy until you get fed up with it. I used to regularly overhaul gearboxes and it isn't nearly daunting as it sounds, most stages in the dismantling only take a few minutes and if you are worried about remembering where all the bits go, take some photos as you go.

I havn't refurbed a gearbox for some years now as seconhand ones are generally available for probably no more than the parts would cost and they generally seem to last very well, at least, XM one's do, most of mine are getting on for 200k, the last one I sold was at nearly 300k and was still functioning satisfactoraly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Im sure someone on here has a put a 90bhp HDi box in their TD and gets lower revs when cruising so if your doing the miles it may be worth it, adn quieter too....
Yes, that was Xac. A very, very good result. The HDi 90 'box really seems to suit the 1.9TD.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

CitroJim wrote:
KP wrote:Im sure someone on here has a put a 90bhp HDi box in their TD and gets lower revs when cruising so if your doing the miles it may be worth it, adn quieter too....
Yes, that was Xac. A very, very good result. The HDi 90 'box really seems to suit the 1.9TD.
And me too!! I did this a few years ago on a Mk2 Xantia 1.9TD without any problems.

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Well, bit the bullet yesterday and changed the gearbox for the unknown mileage one and happy days again - didn't realise how noisy the old one was ! Looks like I'll have to wait another while to justify a C5 II :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

BrianM wrote:Well, bit the bullet yesterday and changed the gearbox for the unknown mileage one and happy days again - didn't realise how noisy the old one was !
Good work Brian :D Did you replace the clutch at the same time?
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:

Indeed, but it does stunt the top speed a bit though :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Didn't do a clutch change - it was changed about 35K ago so reckoned it would last out the car. Not knowing what condition the 'new' box was in didn't want throwing money at it unnecessarily, clutch kits a bit pricier in Ireland than in the UK

Brian