Additives 2 stroke oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

den169
My Cars:

Additives 2 stroke oil

Post by den169 »

Has anyone heard of mixing 2 stroke oil in the diesel.Its supposed to run better and make the pump etc last a lot longer anyone done it or heard of it on an hdi.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I would not try such things.
Reason is that the HDI's are crammed with sensitive anti-pollution mechanisms, which would easily be disturbed by using an additive oil.

In any case I'm sure it will harm more than any benefits.
The high pressure pump does not suffer from lack of lubrication.
Its much more important to keep the fuel filter(s) up to scratch, as any crap may kill the pump.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I've have actually tried this, and it did seem to make the engine run slightly smoother and start easier, though it is rather subjective admittedly.

I have known a few very experienced diesel techs suggest adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel, or even cheap mineral engine oil, to free off a sticking fuel pressure regulator on the HDi. As long as its mineral oil its unlikely to do any harm in small quantities, though I'm not sure I would risk trying it on an HDi with a "FAP" particulate filter.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

When low sulphur diesel came out a few years back it caused problems with pump wear. This has been addressed mostly by additives in standard pump fuel to combat this.
Very small quantities of Biodesel are added now to standard fuel. It is only 1 or 2 %. Save your money I would say.. The two stroke oil is an old trick mostly used sparingly on 4stroke petrol engines.

The theory is that because it is such a good Upper Cylinder Lubricant on two strokes it can only help with the 4stroke petrol engine as well.

Having said all that .....I cannot see how it would do any harm at say 100 ml to a full tank. It is only lubricatiing oil which burns and at that ratio will have no viscoscity or Cetane effect. it also mixes and dilutes very effectively.

Despite what some will say..HDI can run 100% proper made Biodiesel
perfectly well with big mileages and no damage. BIODIESEL not veg oil.

And proper stuff with no soap or water or methanol left in it.

Two stroke oil mixed with fuel (petrol) turns back to droplets in the heat process of combustion This sticks to crankcase (sealed) of two stroke engines and find it`s way to big and small end bearings etc. So you can decide whether that would actually do your diesel engine any good? With 4 gallon of oil recirculating around engine by a high pressure pump.......I doubt it.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2