Xantia creaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jennie
My Cars:

Xantia creaking

Post by Jennie »

Hi all, im wondering whether anyone can help me. Recently (after reading the strut top post) my car has started creaking like a door when i brake at juntions/roundabouts, it seems to happen when i brake at the end of a road and turn the wheel at the junction to point either left or right if you know what i mean? Ive read that when the strut tops are failing it makes a noise when nearly on full lock but this isnt on full lock, so im hoping it isnt them. Has anyone had this before? It is a ph2 activa, thanks Jennie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Jennie,

Unlikely to be the strut tops thankfully as MK2 ones not only seem more resistant to failure but a bit young as well. Do carefully check them though.

I'd be looking at the brakes as the cause. Fronts can bind a little and make this sort of noise if the handbrake cables are past their best. The outer sheaths split where they run through the guide rings and let in moisture and then get stiff and partially seize. They're a doddle to replace. One of those jobs that look hard but isn't :D

The rear brakes are more likely the cause. Corrosion builds up on the aluminium caliper face where the caliper bolts to the trailing arm and this corrosion puses the caliper out of line with the diac and causes binding and noise. You can tell if this has happened if the rear pads have worn wedge-shaped.

Finally, don't discount the trailing arm bearings. Push up and down on the rear and see if you can provoke the noise..

On an Activa it's just possible the roll corrector linkages attached to the front wishbones could make some noise if they were very dry and worn perhaps where they run through the pastic guide blocks; worth a check as these linkages and the plastic guides are critical to good roll correction performamce and handling on an Activa
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jennie
My Cars:

Post by Jennie »

Brilliant, thanks for your help. Enough info to get someone to check them all for me lol. Hopefully it wont be anything major
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My estate used to "creak like a door" during driving events that flexed the chassis a little.

It was when the nearside rear door hinge welds were failing, and the door creaked on its rubber weatherstripping. :shock:

Checking your hinges is a good start!

Regards, Adam.
Jennie
My Cars:

Post by Jennie »

Im pretty sure it is coming from the front, but worth a check. Thanks Adam