Xantia Door latches

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bonnyman750
My Cars:

Xantia Door latches

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi all,
I have just obtained from an 'R' redg 2.0 diesel Xantia a used RHF door latch unit to replace one that will make all the right noises when operating the key fob buttons but won't let you open the door...you have to put the key in to move it that little bit to let you open the door from the outside handle. I have read all the related threads on the forum regarding door latch faults but haven't found any mention of this particular issue...when I stripped the door down to swap them over I found that the wiring plugs were different and it would not fit!
In typical manufacturer fashion there are no part numbers on any of the latch units and so Service.Citroen part numbers aren't much use.

The plug on the existing unit is the type that pushes on and a metal wire band clips over two lugs to hold it on. The replacement unit I have, when removed from the scrap vehicle, had a plug with a type of lever arrangement where you lifted a plate on the top of the plug and it slid the plug off the latch. After looking at the Service.Citroen diagrams it mentions three types of latches:-

Standard locking
Simple central locking and
Central dead locking.

I know that mine (Gold SX) model has central dead locking and the car's RP number on S.C confirms this when entering my Vin number so my question is which of the other latch types is the one I got from the scrapper? I also have a LHF one from a previous scrap yard purchase which came off an 'N' redg Xantia TD with the same type of plug on it so I assume that it wasn't a Mk II unique latch...

I know that they both won't fit my other two Xantias so both could be available to a good home...

Also, the scrapyard I got it from have a taxed and tested 'R' redg estate for sale at £250...no parcel shelf and a dented bonnet in silver but I have already got three...!!!