Sump plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tgrfc

Sump plug

Post by tgrfc »

Hi all,

I have a xsara est 2.0 HDI '99' V plate.. Wheres the bloody sump plug?!?!?!?! i think i have found it but theres seems to be 2, one above the other and guess what, i cant get the bottom one undone. Am i trying on the right nut??? its 21mm external with a 8mm hex internal..

cheers in advance
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If your Xsara has got Aircondition, the sump would seem to have 2 plugs one above the other.
Should be found on the rear of sump facing towards pedal box.

Its always the lower one to drain as most oil as possible.
Presumeably the upper one is for optional fitting some kind of a sensor.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

AndersDK wrote:If your Xsara has got Aircondition, the sump would seem to have 2 plugs one above the other.
Should be found on the rear of sump facing towards pedal box.

Its always the lower one to drain as most oil as possible.
Presumeably the upper one is for optional fitting some kind of a sensor.
What Anders said, I imagine that if this extra plug is for some kind of sensor, it would be the oil temp?

I would use a ring spanner with a bit of metal pipe on the end for a bit of leverage, should do the trick :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i took a sump plug out a couple months ago, felt normal on removal, tried refitting it and it just went round and round, it didn't even squash the new copper washer, ended up removeing the sump had an enginer cut a larger thread, to suit a dersh sump plug, that FFFFFFIXED the little BBBBBBBB a leson,

that now must be one of the fastest 2CV supm plugs on the planet

regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

citronut wrote:i took a sump plug out a couple months ago, felt normal on removal, tried refitting it and it just went round and round, it didn't even squash the new copper washer, ended up removeing the sump had an enginer cut a larger thread, to suit a dersh sump plug, that FFFFFFIXED the little BBBBBBBB a leson,

that now must be one of the fastest 2CV supm plugs on the planet

regards malcolm
That happened to the alloy sump on my TD before I got it. It was tapped in situ to receive a Mini sump plug
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the reason i did not tap the over sized thread in situe is, there is a bafle plate just inside the sump plug hole, so the tapperd tap could not get a start, beside that whilst laying on the ground under the car it was not easy to get the tap square the the surface of the sump,

regards malcolm
tgrfc

Post by tgrfc »

Sorted thanks, I got a large alan key on it this morning and gave it some welly.

Many thanks to you all.