C5 : BABY IT's HOT OUTSIDE !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

C5 : BABY IT's HOT OUTSIDE !!

Post by johnway »

:D Hi Folks,
It has been quite a while since I have had to post anything (the C5 has been behaving itself beautifully), but now a strange quirk has developed : exterior temperature reading is a balmy 90 degrees!! I know we are facing global warming, but that reading is ridiculous. I tried the usual cure for electrical gremlins i.e. disconnect battery and let everything reset but in this case nothing doing. All ideas/suggestions very welcome. Regards, John. 8)
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My first guess would be a defective thermistor in the mirror.
Apparently easy to do if you can handle a soldering iron and can dismantle the mirror without breaking it.
A new thermistor is approximately £14 from the dealer.
Dismantle the mirror before you buy the thermistor, just in case you break the glass.
johnway
My Cars:

Post by johnway »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your 1st guess - I have read something similar elsewhere on another topic so you may well be correct. However, before I break anything or buy anything I am hoping somebody out there has experienced the same malady with their C5 and cured it. Thanks again, Regards, John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, mine read the other end of the scale IE it shows about 3oc. The dealer changed the sensor under warrenty and said it would have to be replaced as it would give the computer incorrect readings, so I assume the car would think it is just above freezing and change the mixture to match.

Steve
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

99% certain it will be the temp sensor in the n/s door mirror. It can affect the operation of the air conditioning system if its reading incorrectly.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

wheeler wrote:99% certain it will be the temp sensor in the n/s door mirror. It can affect the operation of the air conditioning system if its reading incorrectly.
Interesting.

Does anyone know if the outside temperature sensor in the door mirror on a Xantia is also used as an input to the air conditioning system ?

My sensor has become intermittent and sometimes the reading heads well into the negatives and then to a blank reading, usually restored by slamming the door closed :twisted: but lately it's getting more troublesome.

Is it difficult to get at the sensor and the wiring ? I presume the mirror glass has to be removed from the shroud somehow, any tips ? I can deal with the spider who lives behind the glass at the same time. :twisted:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

The glass does'nt need taken off , underside of the mirror fitting there's a clip that removes . The sensor sit's on the clip poking down from the fitting . If there's enough slack wire to work with you can solder from there .
Or ultimately , it's a door card removal to get to the tail-end connection "
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I dont know if you meant the Xantia or not but I cant see how you could change the sensor on a C5 without removing the glass, not without damaging the mirror housing anyway. I't fairly easy to remove the glass anyway, just flick of the metal circlip with a thin bladed screwdriver.
Im not sure if the exterior temp sensor has any effect on the A/C system on the xantia.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote: Im not sure if the exterior temp sensor has any effect on the A/C system on the xantia.
I don't believe it does. As far as I can tell, it simply drives the temperature display. I base that on the observation that if the sensor is not working it makes no difference to the performamce of the heater and secondly, the lower spec. A/C equipped Xantias did not have outside temperature sensors or displays.

The outside air temperature in a Xantia, for A/C purposes, is measured on a sensor just downwind of the heater box air intake.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...