Xantia td Aux belt tensioner woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Xantia td Aux belt tensioner woes

Post by Brigsygtt »

Hi all, just bought a 97 xantia 1.9td.

The aux belt thrown a wobbler on the 2nd day of owning, just after replacing all 4 glow plugs :? Sods law eh.

I tried to replace the belt to discover the tensioner isn't in very good nick at all. Its the auto style tensioner, the car has air con. The bolt that holds it on is loose, Infact it goes fully home so its either snapped or the threads are shot in the bracket. Tried to remove this in situ with no success so need to strip it.

Anyway this weekend im going to pull the hp & alt off to get the bracket off for remedial work. Ive worked on xantia's before, but have never removed the hp pump, do i need to de-pressure the hydraulic system? If so how do i go about that.

Also the pump is weeping at the unions for the pipes. Its not too bad but if poss ill fix it whilst pump is off, is it a simple renew of seal?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The auto-tensioner has needle bearings and they collapse stopping the tensioner adjusting, and the bolt sheers.
Happened on Cassy.
I took the bracket off which wasn't too much hassle, but in hindsight I'm certain it could have been replaced insitue with the engine lowered on a jack.
If the bearing has completely fallen apart (as mine had) the inner tube will be left attached to the bracket with the sheered end of the bolt still inside.
Jim and I worked for ages and managed to extract the end of the bolt, only then to find the inner tube could be pulled off and pliers would have easily grasped the sheered bolt and worked it out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

I might have a go at lowering the engine slightly to do it in situ, it looks like the remains of the bolt/tensioner will come out if its 1/2" lower. This would be ideal to save me disconnecting the batt, as i don't have the radio code.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yup, and if memory serves you'll have to adjust the engine height to remove the bracket anyway.
If you've not done it before, jack the engine by the sump, and remove the engine mount over the cam belt.

For the pump weeping, if it's from the base of the big seals (which the pipes then screw into, looks like a 17mm nut) the o-rings are around 80p from dealers, if it's from the pipe screws, then you'll need to order seals from GSF (as with all the pipe seals, Citroen don't sell them!)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's a little guide on replacing the tensioner. As Xac says, no need to remove the HP pump and alternator :D

The notes are written around a 2.1TD but the arrangement is essentially the same.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other reason the pump can leak is if the three 13mm bolts which hold the pump body together become loose, i have got a XANT in my workshop at the mow for MOT work and cam belt, on opening the bonnet there was a lot of LHM all around the aux drive belt area, and i found the above to be very loose

ps.
when useing a jack under the sump place a lump of wood on the jack

regards malcolm
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Thanks for the advice all. Ill have a crack at both jobs this weekend if the weather holds out.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Sorted, had to remove the bracket to get the remains of the bolt out. Had a carry on refitting the aux belt, are they usually pretty tight? Got a 174? belt on, cant remember the exact size.

Need to sort the radio now, its a blaupunkt ph1/c complete with dodgy screen. Tried to input a code earlier & looks like ive blocked it. Any easy fixes for this or is ti new stereo time?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D
Brigsygtt wrote:, are they usually pretty tight? Got a 174? belt on, cant remember the exact size.
Yes, they should be and 174 (1740mm) is the right one.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...