URGENT ZX HELP NEEDED

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

volcane_nut
My Cars:

URGENT ZX HELP NEEDED

Post by volcane_nut »

Driving to work this morning i heard a nasty rumbling noise from the car, after pulling over i found that the cooling fans are on and going mad (one has a bad bearings which is probably why the noise was so bad). They didn't cut out even though the temp guage was showing only 1/4 on the guage.

I topped the header tank up and it had very sludgy rusty water at the top, i also squashed the rad hoses and there didn't seem to be any pressure there and the hoses felt like there was something not right there, it felt like something was breaking up inside (kind of like crunching a biscuit).

I was wondering if the thermostat / water pump may have taken a turn for the worse.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

zx volcane 2.0i 8v 95 n reg
96 ZX Volcane 2.0i 8v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear :(

Rusty water in a header tank is a very bad omen.

Sounds like the cooling system is full of sludge and the rad has choked. Likely as it's been run with weak/non-existent antifreeze.

Only thing is to drain, flush very thoroughly, both engine and rad, and then refill with coolant (50/50 antifreeze/water) and see how it behaves then.

Whilst doing all this, have the 'stat out, clean it and test it in a pan of hot water top see if it opens OK.

These are tough engines and at the very wiorst you'll be looking at a replacement head gasket but on these, it's not a difficult job.

Hopefully, with a flush and refill, all will be good [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...