Blaupunkt Xantia radio illumination LEDs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Blaupunkt Xantia radio illumination LEDs

Post by red_dwarfers »

Im looking into replacing the LEDs in my 3030 stereo as a few of them appear to be dead and what with them being placed in series, once one has gone, all of them have.

While I was checking them I presumed, being Light Emitting DIODES, that they would only accept current in one direction...a couple of them would some a little resisance both ways and all of the others had an infinate amount of resisance both ways.

I've had a look at the online Maplin Catologue at 3mm 12v LEDs and they look a bit of a different shape. The ones in the radio look more like mini versions of the bulbs in the interior lamps - the fact that that they accept current in both ways also makes me think this.

Can anyone with a bit more electronics knowledge confirm or not?

Heres a couple of photos:

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Right, well I've answered my own question :lol:
Did a bit more browsing on the Maplin website to see if miniture bulbs existed, they do and they look exactally the same as the ones on the radio :D
So bosched a 9v battery onto the two working bulbs and volia! We have light :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

I have the same problem with mine but am wary about removing the circuit board. Does it just lift out after removing the screws ? How are the bulb units fitted. Are they soldered or push in ?

Thanks
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

hirsty wrote:I have the same problem with mine but am wary about removing the circuit board. Does it just lift out after removing the screws ? How are the bulb units fitted. Are they soldered or push in ?

Thanks
Hi

Do you have the Blaupunkt or Clarion unit?

Looks like there will be another writeup once I've finished taking some more pictures for the ABS one :lol:

Regarding the BP unit, everything is torx'd together using tiny bits and clips, Clarion have gone for phillips 'drivers.

All the illumination bulbs regardless of Clarion or Blaupunkt are soldered direct to the board. Now I've got my proper electronics soldering iron for Christmas, de/soldering PCBs has been a lot easier, been doing a lot of practicing :lol:

If you don't fancy doing the job yourself, I'd be more than happy to do the job for you :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: If you don't fancy doing the job yourself, I'd be more than happy to do the job for you :wink:
Got another customer here for you Kev :wink: I have two rapidly going over to the "Dark Side" myself :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

citrojim wrote: Got another customer here for you Kev :wink: I have two rapidly going over to the "Dark Side" myself :lol: :lol:
Whoops, just read your reply :oops:

Of course Jim :wink: Let me know when you want them done :D

The new bulbs arrived a few days ago but i've been ill. I've been feeling good enough to do them this morning so cracked on with it. Before I did anything, I tested all 12 bulbs and found that one was DOA. Half of the family have popped into Exeter today so have kindly swapped that one with the single one Maplin had in stock :lol:

I've nearly finished soldering the new bulbs on my 3030 and as you can see, I've been a bit experimental with the colour of the bulb :lol:

If all goes well, it should be all back together by the end of the day and I can test it out and see whether the choice of colour was a wise one :oops:

I did write all that earlier on in the day but had a bit of trouble getting into the forum.
Got all my lights soldered in and roughly put everything back together to see the new bulbs in action...I really don't think the bulbs are bright enough...also when the radio is turned on, the lights come on 'full' immediatly even without the sidelights on, so the reostat doesn't make a difference to the brightness, is this right?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Now its properly dark, I went back up to the Xant, the bulbs allow you to see when it is pitch black but im not happy with the brightness at all so im going to look at other bulbs, the blue im happy to say, complements the green :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Kev :D

Post up the most suitable bulb you find through your experiments. What would be ever so useful would be a guide on how to take the wireless apart; something like you did recently for the rear ABS sensors. That was truly excellent :D Sorry It's taken me this long to say so :oops:
red_dwarfers wrote: I did write all that earlier on in the day but had a bit of trouble getting into the forum.
Sorry. Strange as it was caused by my Internet going down between about 2 and 4. Unusual as the link is usually very solid. Maybe work going on at our local exchange or Pipex doing something :?

It happened as I turned my back on the forum for the afternoon to actually get my hands dirty on a car :twisted: More in my blog in a bit!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...