Young person seeking car advice

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

joshier

Young person seeking car advice

Post by joshier »

Hello

OK, so let me tell you my situation very briefly.

I'm 21, I live on an island (isle of wight). I work part-time in a job I've been working for over a year.

I need a new car, because my pegueot 306 (made in 1994) is giving me massive trouble.

I've just finished buying a NSR (extremely good condition) and I've done my CBT, however as I have no car, the bikes basically useless (car is much more important than bike).

I've been told the following options:

- Buy cheap car off of eBay equivalent (roughly £600 mark)
- Buy car with part exchange from car dealer (my cars damaged so it only works for about 10 miles at a time, however I could drive it in there and get about £300 to £400 I've been told & not telling them it's damaged)
- Buy almost new car from Ford (4 to 5k mark) officially by 'financing' it, so I pay X amount every month, selling my bike the same time for a sum of at least £1000 (bought it for £1250)
- Some other option I've yet to find out

I think I'm stable in my job but I'm not 100% sure and I'm also not sure if I should ask my boss this.

Thanks
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I'm the same age so can understand your issues.

I would be inclined to find a car you like, your likely to stick with and is affordable. Try to find a decent example and keep it going rather than running it into the ground and getting another. Keep it up to scratch and it should provide miles of motoring.

I don't think you'll get anything from the dealer for your car as they offer pitiful trade in values at the best of times.

Personally I would not go the financing route as I hate being in debt - I refuse to even have a credit card. However, it may work for you. You just need to make sure you have the funds coming in each month to ensure you can pay it. If your job is not 100% then this is a factor you need to be aware of.

It may be a possiblility to sell your bike and spend the extra on a car if you really don't need the bike.

Only you can decide what is best for you in terms of what you need, want and can afford.

What is wrong with the 306 to warrant a new car?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
joshier

Post by joshier »

Toby_HDi wrote:I'm the same age so can understand your issues.

I would be inclined to find a car you like, your likely to stick with and is affordable. Try to find a decent example and keep it going rather than running it into the ground and getting another. Keep it up to scratch and it should provide miles of motoring.

I don't think you'll get anything from the dealer for your car as they offer pitiful trade in values at the best of times.

Personally I would not go the financing route as I hate being in debt - I refuse to even have a credit card. However, it may work for you. You just need to make sure you have the funds coming in each month to ensure you can pay it. If your job is not 100% then this is a factor you need to be aware of.

It may be a possiblility to sell your bike and spend the extra on a car if you really don't need the bike.

Only you can decide what is best for you in terms of what you need, want and can afford.

What is wrong with the 306 to warrant a new car?
It needs a new throttle housing I'm told and I tried to find one in a scrap yard but they were all different. Then I tried another website that sells 'citreons, peugeots etc' parts and even tehey don't sell any throttle housings.

it's just falling apart and it won't go for more than 10 miles at a time because it stops. I've posted previously about it.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you tried eBay, there are a number of breakers advertise there. Some good, some bad and the rest somewhere in between.

Have you priced a new one? - GSF may have them. A cheaper option than a new car.

Also post a request in the "For Sale & Wanted" forum, there could be a member with one that hasn't seen your other posts.

You appear to have already invested quite a bit in the car it is a shame to lose all that for one fault, or are there other outstanding problems with it?
joshier

Post by joshier »

myglaren wrote:Have you tried eBay, there are a number of breakers advertise there. Some good, some bad and the rest somewhere in between.

Have you priced a new one? - GSF may have them. A cheaper option than a new car.

Also post a request in the "For Sale & Wanted" forum, there could be a member with one that hasn't seen your other posts.

You appear to have already invested quite a bit in the car it is a shame to lose all that for one fault, or are there other outstanding problems with it?
Yeah GSF is the place I tried. Actually the guy was quite rude and said blankly 'see your dealer'.

I'm on the isle of wight so breakers unless on the island are pointless.

I'll try that sales and wanted post thing.

The diagnostic is online... in my previous post.. There aren't many things wrong with it.. but the guy who changed most stuff said he thinks he changed the sensor in the throttle body anyway :S
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I used to have three rules for young people and cars, but advancing age has made me forget one of them. :oops: Those I remember:

1. Never spend more than 1/3 of your car budget on the purchase, if it's a used car.

2. Never go splits on a car with mates.

Aside from all that, my reading of the sitcheration is that you need a better mechanic, or he needs to more clearly articulate the issues so that you may resolve them. It seems very much inferred that mechanical services rendered thusfar, include a strong element of pure guesswork. Imagine if consulting engineers conducted themselves similarly! :shock:

Regards, Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you given PCR of lancing west sussex a call on lancing 767676, as they are citroen/pug dismatlers and also do mail order

regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Probably not want you want to hear but why not use your bike, especially as you live on a small island? You can always keep an eye out for a car you'd like to buy and check them out on your bike while saving money on fuel etc.
joshier

Post by joshier »

MikeT wrote:Probably not want you want to hear but why not use your bike, especially as you live on a small island? You can always keep an eye out for a car you'd like to buy and check them out on your bike while saving money on fuel etc.
I look outside my window and the grass is totally white.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Country Press used to be the be all and end for all for buying cheap cars when I lived there. Whereabouts on the IOW do you live?

Trouble with buying another cheap car is that ts may well be as bad as the one you've got - if that is otherwise OK I'd get it fixed - even a dealer part shouldn't break the bank.
Richard W
newmezuk04

Post by newmezuk04 »

I second the whole 'dont go the finance route', only do this if you have a career, as in you've been doing it a few years so you would be able to find another job elsewhere quite easily and your in full time employment.
joshier

Post by joshier »

newmezuk04 wrote:I second the whole 'dont go the finance route', only do this if you have a career, as in you've been doing it a few years so you would be able to find another job elsewhere quite easily and your in full time employment.
I'm so (-expletive removed-) off now I'll just cancel my insurance, get the tax from my car back after driving to the scrap yard to crush it, selling the bike and just saving up for a sensible car I like (1 litre something that won't (-expletive removed-) break because it's not 14 years old)
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

joshier wrote:I'm so ***** off now I'll just cancel my insurance, get the tax from my car back after driving to the scrap yard to crush it, selling the bike and just saving up for a sensible car I like (1 litre something that won't Flipping break because it's not 14 years old)
I understand your frustrations. I am having issues with my Xantia at the moment. I think I sort one and something else pops up.

Don't let it get to you. It's not breaking because its 14 years old; any car, no matter how old it is has the potential to break. If your persevere, you'll sort it. Keep your eye on ebay, scrappies for parts you need and also post up wanted ads on here and maybe other places you feel you might get some success.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
newmezuk04

Post by newmezuk04 »

The best bet is live within your means, so keep it simple.

You need a cheap (car, insurance, tax, fuel, repairs) car, citroens do fit the bill, certainly on the repair side of things if you diy and get the advice from this site.

The xantia was my best car that I had, requiring no money spent on it, still miss it now.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

My car buying advice- Never buy a rover/mg or a fiat.