Xantia Steering rack gaiter replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Xantia Steering rack gaiter replacement

Post by VertVega »

Hi, I have recently replaced steering rack gaiter which has been divided in 3 separate parts. I got some useful tips from FCF topics search results. This was so called the "easy" side. I just had to remove one bolt from the rack end. The steering rack in LHD and RHD are almost exact copies of their mirror images.

The other side looks more challenging. There is the cylinder arm.

My questions are:
- Is it possible to replace gaiter without removing the steering rack assembly?
- How can I remove/unbolt the ram from the rack?
- Are there any pit falls like Hydraulic fluid, seals and etc. ?

Thanks in advance
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

That's how the steering rack looks like in a LHD Xantia.

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi VV -

You will need to remove the ram, as the boot must slide over the ram securing bolt stud.
But before you remove the ram, you must remove the 2 pipes, ensuring they are not damaged.
They do not take much bending before they crack or even snaps off.
Otherwise the ram is simple to remove.
Note that the ram has rubber bushings in the fixing eyes. If these are too soft and rotten by oil and crud, they must be replaced. Otherwise the ram will move too much causing the pipes to develop cracks.

There is no need to release the hydraulic pressure, as this is taken directly from the pump to the pinion steering valve and the ram. The pump does not store any pressure.
This is true on both the early type FDV 1-port pump steering and the later type 2-port pump steerings.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks for the reply AndersDK,
I had no experience with steering rack earlier and I couldn't figure out the difficulty level. It was relieving to hear that it's an easy job. I have to get my camera and check the fixings, pipes and the surroundings.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats will be the easy bit, then you will need to get the boot past the stub which the N/S end of the ram attatches to, great fun, just make sure you get the gaitor on right way first time, as the openning are very slightly diferant diammiters, if wrong it will not stay on the rack body end

regards malcolm
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks citronut, I have checked the other side as well and it seems that the boot needs a good stretching over the stub :!:

The good news is that may be I don't have to change the gaiter at all but fix it from one end (marked with red arrow). The loose end is well seen when the steering wheel is turned to max. Original gaiter is still in one piece :D

The "shower cap" is missing. (There was a nice picture in MikeT's post: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23888 )
The ram looks shiny and no rust but do you think that I should protect it? If yes, are there aftermarket parts or any other practical solutions?
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Good Morning Vertvega,

You have the exact same problem I have and I have remove the rack because my poinion valve was leaking and needed replaced as well.

If you go onto my current thread Cloggz has posted some of the Citroen service details which you may find interesting.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.