heater matrix problem 1.9td mark 1 xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

heater matrix problem 1.9td mark 1 xantia

Post by kevino »

Hi Eveybody & a happy new year,
I have a 1.9 td xantia, I have recently noticed that the heater doesn't seem to be getting hot in the car even though the car engine temperature is a steady 71 degrees. I think I have tried the logical things like water level and draining the water and replacing with coolant and water mix but nothing seems to make any difference. Has anybody any ideas as i am puzzled and cold.

Cheers Kevino
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you thoroughly bled the system? An air lock could prevent coolant flowing through the heater matrix - or worse.

Did it seem to stop working all of a sudden, could be clogged with sediment.

Try disconnecting the heater hoses and flushing them through with a hose.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

How long have you had the car?

I ask as the previous owner has probably decided that rather than remove
the whole dash to renew a leaking heater matrix and/or lose use of the
car, an easier solution was a cheat by bridging the inlet/outlet pipes inside
the engine bay on the bulkhead so NO hot water will remotely enter the
cabin allowing heat to dissipate into the heater trunking.

Andrew
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Does the radiator get fully hot and do the cooling fans kick in at about the 70 degree mark

I had a similar problem with my mk1 1.9td where the temp got to 70 ish and the fans would kick in but the rad was only hot near the top.

i let the engine go cold and then did a coolant/air bleed turned out i had an airlock soon as the system was properly bled the rad got fully hot and warm air was again available in the cabin :D :D

Worth checking the inlet/outlet pipes if the car is new to you

Colin
kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

Post by kevino »

hi andmcit
I've had the car for a few years now and have never had any problems with the matrix it always did get very hot in the car, it now gets warm as though it's only on half heat , it's as though there is water getting through but not enough to get the car hot. I've tried the heater valve on the dash board, it turns the full 90 degrees at the valve so there should be a full flow but there isn't.

cheers kevino
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi kevino
Just a thought having read your last post.....
When you say its only getting warm not hot do you get full power from the interior fan as if the pollen filter is blocked you will not get much heat blown into the cabin.

Still worried that temp sits at 70 though

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

just thought again 70 is about right this time of year does the temp go up if left at idle for a while??

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The heater is an air-blender so the slideron the heater panel controls the movement of a flap. Hot water flows through the matrix itsel full-bore, constantly; there is no water valve.

On an air conditioned car, the flap is motor driven. It is not uncommon for this to fail and give the symptoms of a duff matrix. The temperature slider is mainly just a switch...

There have been several posts in the past about this very problem.

Also, you may have an issue where the climate control ECU believes the cabin to be warm and closes off the flap.. This is often caused by a stuck/seized fan in the cabin air temperature sensor that hides behind the alarm LED...

A quick Lexia session will reveal all.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If both heater hoses are about equally hot, it means that the water flows through normally.
The water flow through the heater starts immediately, not going through thermostats or anything.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citrojim wrote: On an air conditioned car, the flap is motor driven. It is not uncommon for this to fail and give the symptoms of a duff matrix. The temperature slider is mainly just a switch...

There have been several posts in the past about this very problem.
That's what I reckoned to have happened to my other estate.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool