HDi or old skool diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robster_1981

HDi or old skool diesel?

Post by robster_1981 »

I'm on the hunt for a Xantia estate at the moment. I'm focusing only on HDi 110's at the moment as I just want a bit of extra power for when the car is fully loaded with fat drunken ****'s lol, but I can't help noticing all the 2.1 and 1.9td's that are much more plentiful. The only thing that puts me off is the alegedly higher fuel consumption and that they aren't quite as refined.

Can anyone shed any light/opinions on this please?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think you'd soon get fed up of a 1.9TD for taxi work and the economy isn't great.

I've never driven a 2.1 but I understand they offer a similar driving experience to the HDi110 and the economy is nearly as good. 2.1s aren't that common though.

If you get a Y plate HDi the road tax is slightly cheaper.

Is there not an age limit on taxis where you are? Around here it's 8 years, which would pretty much exclude the 1.9/2.1.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The 1.9 wouldn't struggle too much once the fuelling and boost are setup/played with.
Also running it on wvo/wvo will cut your fuel bills down massively, especially if you buy your own filters and have a few square feet to filter the stuff.
1.9tds aren't too bad and i have a HDi 90 estate and want to o back to the old skool. even though the HDi is very economical it cant compare to the price of the veg i hav already and the free stuff i could get...
robster_1981

Post by robster_1981 »

There is no age limit in this area, but i'd rather get a newer vehicle so i've kind of answered my own question :roll:

One thing that is tempting me towards a 1.9 is the veg oil, but I'm not 100% sure of what you need to do with it to make it useable, or, where best to get it from
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

robster_1981 wrote:There is no age limit in this area, but i'd rather get a newer vehicle so i've kind of answered my own question :roll:

One thing that is tempting me towards a 1.9 is the veg oil, but I'm not 100% sure of what you need to do with it to make it useable, or, where best to get it from
Can you get veg oil much cheaper than what diesel is now? Its really not worth considering a 1.9 TD on this basis alone, as the HDi is more economical on diesel and would work out cheaper than a 1.9TD running on veg oil (86p litre is cheapest really)

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

robster_1981 wrote:There is no age limit in this area, but i'd rather get a newer vehicle so i've kind of answered my own question :roll:

If you have access to a cash and carry like Macro of Costco near you, then you should be able to pick up 20L of KTC veg for under £16 (works out around 77ppl at the moment).
All you do is pour it into the tank as it's straight vegetable oil (SVO) so no need to refine or even filter it.
If you mainly work round town, I really don't think a Hdi will save you that much in fuel compared with the IDIs, if you were mainly doing long airport runs then maybe, but as above, if you can get bulk cheap veg then the Hdi won't save you 20ppl
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 is a brilliant engine and will likely give a better fuel consumption than the 1.9 apart from being nicer to drive, and certainly potentially more reliable than the Hdi.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I would choose an old mechanical Diesel every time over an electronically controlled version.

Modern HDi engines are reported to return slightly better MPG but any savings will be wiped out instantly the first time the engine management light comes on & you have to visit the dealer to have it sorted :(

Modern Diesel engines have become a total nightmare because of emission controls....Devices such as EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) & Particle filters may work in theory but the reality is that now Diesel engines have become a very problematic engine.

You knew where you were with the mechanical type...if it didn't start or had a running problem you could more than likely find the problem & sort it out. With electronic versions they will stop for no apparent reason & in a lot of cases your hands are tied unless you have expensive diagnostic equipment.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

If you mainly work round town, I really don't think a Hdi will save you that much in fuel compared with the IDIs, if you were mainly doing long airport runs then maybe, but as above, if you can get bulk cheap veg then the Hdi won't save you 20ppl
We run a couple of Xantia Estates - 1997 1.9TD, and a 1999 HDi. The 1.9 has done around 100K, and the HDI 230K.

The HDi will return >4-5mpg better consumption than the ID 1.9, under ALL various running conditions, as well as being very much nicer (read easier) to drive, due to the much improved low-down grunt. For me personally, the 2.1 TD is ruled out simply because of the horrid Lucas inj pump; I have had 2 of these go AWOL on XMs, resulting in taking both to the scrappers.

On balance I'd live with a bog standard (90hp) HDi and keep my fingers crossed.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Only one reason to buy a 1.9 over an hdi thats running it on veg oil,The hdi is far better for power etc.
deian

Post by deian »

A later Xantia 2.1Tdi Exclusive did the job well for me. It is more economical than a 1.9td in a Xantia, even around town, it was more economical than my zx 1.9td... a 1.9td in a xantia will be more uneconomical as it is a heavier car to lug around, but the 2.1 is a tiny bit more uneconomical, but in a heavier body (xant vs. zx), it is more efficient cos it doesn't work so hard, therefore more economical all round.

As for the 2.0HDi, it is more economical yes, but as unclebuck mentioed: once u get an electrical problem it may wipe off the savings (pounds) of running a 2.0 hdi 110 vs. 2.1tdi. I've never driven the Hdi, but I couldn't fault the 2.1tdi.

Isn't a Hdi the same as the early tdci's as found in the same time mondeo's?

Plus if you can fit an old mechanical bosch pump to the XUD11 unit then you can run it on veggie oil. Most of the 2.1tdi's came with the Lucas pump, bar some of the early ones in an XM. Which I would buy.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Correction to my previous post .... a 2.1 fitted with a Bosch pump is .... as are all mine: :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Correction to my previous post .... a 2.1 fitted with a Bosch pump is .... as are all mine:D
Peter, can you take some detailed pictures of the Bosch equipped 2.1 please for me please? never seen one in the flesh as it were...

I have a project on the back burner to retrofit a mechanical Bosch to a 2.1TD. I don't to use my own as a ginuea pig for obvious reasons; the pictures of youer setup would be very valuable in the execution of my planned conversion scheme...

I desparately need a 2.1TD with a genuinely dead EPIC to conduct my experiments on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Will do Jim - but its dark at the moment - and cold :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citrojim wrote: I desparately need a 2.1TD with a genuinely dead EPIC to conduct my experiments on...
Well, I could bring my lump hammer with me the next time I come over and arrange that for you Jim ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool