HID headlamp conversions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leigh

HID headlamp conversions

Post by leigh »

Any one had any joy with these on a Xsara (1999). Std fitment is H4. Currently got Phillips (blue) bulbs fitted.Saw some advertised in Leeds reduced from £156 to £75 so I bought them. Dip beam was HID but main was a small halogen bulb on side. Light quality absolute pants and none existant on main beam as xenon part was extinguished on main beam,so sent them back and got a refund. I know lenses may play a part but fitted loads of these lights to bikes with similar lens designs but have H7 type bulbs fitted and found no probs.
Headlamps are ok but I'd like a bit more light if poss. Have tried 100/80's but not really seen much improvement.I don't really fancy going to a higher rated bulb as I fear I might burn out the wiring our melt the reflectors in the headlamps.
Any suggestions please?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sorry Leigh, but I'm positively against retrofitted HID lamps.

IMHO - far too many have had a joy, and are making hell out of driving for many of us who loves to see the road ahead of us - and not the dazzling blue/red/white shifting brain screaming lights.

Its by all practical means impossible making retrofitted HID lamps work not dazzling oncoming traffic.

Sorry - not a rant against you, just my personal experiences from the roads.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm 100% in agreement with you Anders. I positively detest the cursed things :twisted: :twisted: I consider they should be banned forthwith and every car so fitted crushed :evil:

Leigh, there is another way. Purchase some good bulbs, such as Osram Silver Stars and do a modification to relay switch your headlights so that the headlamps receive full voltage. It's a popular modification on Xantias and it makes all the difference; 'twixt battery and bulb, due to less than adequate wiring, you can loose 2 Volts easily and that makes a big difference to light output.

Generally, you'll find just fitting Osrams and making sure the headlamp earths are clean will possibly bring about a satisfactory improvement.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
leigh

HID Lights

Post by leigh »

Thanks for info guys. Would you run 1 relay per headlamp unit and I'd take it you'd require a 5 pin relay for switching between beams (ie output terminals of 87 & 87b on relay). Is there a link I could find on the site to help me ?
Re Osram bulbs - can you get them from Halfords etc or do you have to order from Osram direct ?
Regarding HID lights -I personally think some folk have got their lights so far out of adjustment sometimes or can't be bothered to use the beam adjuster switch on the dashboard when they're fully loaded whatever type of lights they've got fitted.
Cheers Leigh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Leigh,

Osrams are available from GSF and they're a good known quantity at a good price.. I have seen similar in Halfrauds at vastly dearer prices but of unknown performance.

As regards the relay mod, there are some details on here but not complete. I have a long-standing task to write it up :oops:

I suppose I'd really better think about doing it....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No - you run a simple make relay per light function, and then run the 2 headlamps in parallel.
If you'd use a change-over relay, then either your main or dipped would be lit constantly.

Take a new feed from the battery to one side of both relays. Remember the safety fuse (MOT are looking for it) close to the battery clamp. 25Amp should cater for the filaments in-rush current.

Other side of each relay is fed to both headlamps main or dipped bulbs respectively.
Remember to include a new seaparate chassis ground from each headlamp - directly to the battry minus clamp.

The relay coils are then simply controlled by the original headlamp wires.

The relay modification alone will make a very noticeable increase in light intensity.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I have HID dipped beem that I fitted, not bad on a Xantia. But you do need to adjust them so they are dipped a little more than with ordinary bulbs fitted so they dont blind anyone. Also be aware that you cant use them for main beam because they wont 'flash'. And you will need to adjust them lower when you have rear passengers too

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Regarding aftermarket HID headlamps, Department of Transport says:-

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
SLYTZD
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso

Post by SLYTZD »

I looked into this as well. JohnD's right, "it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs" in the UK.

Here's the link.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
Simon

'96 Xantia Activa in Silver 95,000
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Agreed. It is also illegal to use foglamps other than in fog or falling snow - and we all know how much notice is taken of that regulation.
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby