C5 Red Hot Brake Disc

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

C5 Red Hot Brake Disc

Post by KevMayer »

Happy Christmas to everybody.

On Christmas day I travelled 12 miles to see some friends. I noticed the C5 seemed reluctant to pick up along the way, but, when we arrived we could smell something like clutch burning. We then saw smoke rising from the front left wheel.

We all got out and I could see the front left brake disc glowing bright red hot. All the other discs were ok.

I let it cool down and when I came to drive it later it was all ok again.

Could this be a hand brake cable problem ? Or, maybe the ESP had been applying that brake for some reason ? There was no ESP/ASR light lit up on the dash.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nasty Kev :shock:

Check you don't have a binding handbrake cable. The outer sheath might have split in the guide rings, let water in and caused it to partially seize.

The set-up is, as I understand it, much the same as a Xantia as far as the handbrake goes and suffers all the same problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Iv'e had the same problem myself about a year ago.mine was the little lever with a spring on it on the back of the caliper,I managed to free it off get some grease on it and its been fine since.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Jim and Den.

I've just had the front up on axle stands and found exactly as Den says.

The handbrake lever on the left calliper had seized.

I stripped it all and cleaned it. WD40 and grease and it's free again. I checked the right hand side and that was free so I greased it any way.

The handbrake cable sheath seemed ok. No splits as it goes through the ring supports but, the sheath had sort of snapped just as it approaches the bulk head at what looks like a joint. I squirted some oil into the sheath and taped it up with 3 layers of gaffer tape to keep the weather out (hopefully).

All seems to be working now.

I'll take another look in a couple of weeks to see if it's getting stiff again.

Thanks.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Just had exactly the same problem on a '02 Xsara HDI2.0.
But this was on the rear wheel.

Seems that the later style combination calipers (with integrated handbrakes) on Citroens have a tendency to run dry and then the mechanism sticks leaving a binding brake.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

It looks like this could be something to look out for when changing brake pads.

I can't imagine what the arrangement is inside these callipers where the integral handbrake lever pushes the piston forward. Does it pressurize the fluid or physically act on the piston ? and also why does the piston have to be rotated to push it back ?

Has anyone got any drawings to show the arrangement ?
Cheers, Kev

den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

The pistons in these calipers are on a thread,So have to be wound back when fitting new pads.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

These pictures are from my Xantia's front right brakes. I have marked the hand brake lever protective rubber cap. You can open this cap and turn upwards. Clean the spring mechanism and apply grease to it. In mine it is fixed with a cable tier.

In this second picture you can see why you have to turn the brake piston to get it in. It is taken during the seals replacement operation.

Hope these will be helpful
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

From VV's pictures its easy to recognise the threaded rod operating the piston. In the bore from where the threaded rod protrudes is a small O-ring seal which is located in a tapered recess. This makes a positve seal against the highest available pressure in the caliper.
Its not here problems arises. Its on the outside under the rubebr protector cap, where the rod pivots in external bushings or bores.
The rod runs dry out here over time and will need a good work over with grease.
Its not necessary to use special heat resistant grease, as the heat is always consumed by the disc, not the caliper body and piston.
You can use any suitable CV-joint grease, alu-paste or whatever you have in your service tool box.
Its important however, to ensure the grease is worked into the rod & bores.
May help using a drop of engine oil.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Note also that when retracting the pistons on a C5 the offside need to be wound anticlockwise and the nearside clockwise.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1