Can I change ignition barrel and keep same key?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neil34

Can I change ignition barrel and keep same key?

Post by Neil34 »

Hello all. Great forum this.

My question : The ignition barrel of my 405 is busted. Can I get a new one that will work with the SAME key?

Am trying to avoid having to change all locks and only want to use one key for everything.

Cheers, Neil.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Some workshops do in fact make up new barrels to fit your old key.
Its a question of mastering the art of fitting small spring loaded tumblers in the barrel.
You would need a new barrel, as the bores for the tumblers are worn out making the tumblers tilt and then in most cases prevent the key go in.

I'd definately not do it for you, been there tried it :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote: I'd definately not do it for you, been there tried it :lol:
Me too Anders. Been there, tried the same, gave up in total frustration and failure :evil: Better to have a solidly reliable barrel than one that may remain a bit "iffy".

You soon get used to having two keys. My last 205 had three :roll: As long as they all look different, no worries.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think these barrels are not intended to be striped and re/built,

also it sometimes works out cheaper to buy a full lock set from the likes of GSF, than buying just the ignition lock on its own

regards malcolm
Neil34

Post by Neil34 »

thanx for your replies. i'm not against using 2 keys but (and sorry if this sounds ignorant) would the car still start without the old programmed key in position?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Neil34 wrote:thanx for your replies. i'm not against using 2 keys but (and sorry if this sounds ignorant) would the car still start without the old programmed key in position?
It will. I had to replace the ignition barrel on my old 405 and it was no issue. I don't believe any 405s had an immobiliser..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Neil34

Post by Neil34 »

ok sooo...having had a look around i'm thinking about doing this :

buy new ignition barrel + key blade.
put key blade in old key fob.
use that key for ignition and auto-central locking
hence no need for old key (apart from boot and emergencies)

does this sound feasible?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how much is that all going to cost,
regards malcolm
Neil34

Post by Neil34 »

about £30 for a new ignition barrel + key

is that a lot?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil34 wrote: is that a lot?
That's not bad at all :D Last one I did was nearer fifty...

AS for swapping the key blade; you'll be OK as long as the keys are physically the same. A lot of replacements are made to a totally different style.

If you can swap blades though, that'll be a good solution :)
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that wont be a genuine lock/key blade is it, sounds to cheap to me, if it is it probably dose not come complete with ignition switch, i still think your best opption is buy a new key cut to the original formular buy the dealers parts depot,

the only down side to that is if you lock barrel gives up, just after you buy the new key at £46 squide

regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The ignition lock barrel has given up, that's the reason he's asking in the first place. :wink:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have today transplanted a key blade from a new VALIO lock set into an original chiped key head on an S reg pug 306, and it fits straight in,

so we could then use the new ignition lock from the set

regards malcolm