White Clip query!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jtownson

White Clip query!

Post by jtownson »

Hi All,

The rear suspension on My Xantia '95 1.8i has recently started misbehaving - When i start the car it won't rise up yet can rise up and down when using the manual adjustment.

Thanks to all the posts on this forum i believe it might be the white clip problem. I have had a quick look tonight (the car was supported dont worry!) and the white clip is completley loose. I tried to "press" it back on but the area i think i need to attach it too was too far away?? ie the white clip wasnt long enough. Am i doing something wrong here?

The white clip has a circular cup on the end, this is the bit I am trying to press on to something.

Thanks for your help!

J
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's basically it J. The cups at each end of the clip snap onto little balljoints; one on the height corrector mechanism and another on a projection from the clamp that goes around the anti roll bar.

As on this picture:

This shows both height correctors.

You will need to manipluate the susopension (i.e. jack it up an down) tin order for the clip to meet the balljoints.

Often the reason the clip pops off is because the height corrector mechanism has seized due to lack of librication and maintenance. Give the areas around the springs a good douse in WD40 and give them a good work-out by hand to ensure they have full free movement. Then grease them with something like spray grease. If the mechanism is stiff or seized, the clip will pop off repeatedly so do check everything is ice and free to move.

Sometimes, the ball on the height corrector mecahism disappears. It's just rivetted in and falls out.

Pleased you took the wise precaution of supporting the car very adequately before going under!

Merry Christmas...

On the rear, I find the easiest way of getting the balls to line up is to slip a wheel off and jack up on the trailing arm.
Last edited by CitroJim on 24 Dec 2008, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Congratulations on diagnosing the fault yourself and being mindful to support the weight of the car! The other end of the balljoint is attached to a strong spring so it retracts without the clip holding it in place. Simply force it back out against the spring pressure and you can then perfectly align it to pop it back on. I use a stout screwdriver as a lever against the sprung bracket.

However, the rear height corrector mechanism is most prone to seizure through corrosion and chances are it's seized and will simply pop the clip off again at the earliest opportunity should you refit it.

To reduce the chance of this happening. Clean as much of the moving mechanisms as you can see, perhaps soaking it with WD40 followed by a good dose of lubricant. Work the mechanisn by hand to free it up more then try replacing the clip. After that, give the car a good workout using all the height mechanism lever positions inside the car. It's best to wait a minute or two while it's fully down to pump out as much fluid as possible but don't leave it set high for too long (while the engine is running).

p.s. If the clip pops on too easily, it's worn and will require replacing but these are less than £2 from any Citroen dealer.

Hope that helps.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hey Mike, you and I must have been typing at the same time!!!

Merry Christmas Image
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jtownson

Post by jtownson »

Thanks Guys!

Been most helpful, I will let you know how i get on, think the car will be put to one side mind for a couple of days while i indulge in a few xmas drinks!

Merry Xmas

J
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the nylon link if i remember will only reach both the ball ends with susp and hight lever set at normal ride hight, at this setting all should almost be in a relaxed state

regards malcolm
jtownson

Update - Another Issue!

Post by jtownson »

An Update;

I sprayed the area with WD40 and popped the white clip back on. I started it up and all was ok, the car was rising as it should do and lowering when switched off. Took it for a test drive and it was as smooth as anything!! but...

I then tided the tools away, made some dinner and then set off again. On start up i noticed that the front wasn't rising and after doing some citreoabics and taking it for a drive i now realise the front is doing exactly the same as the back used to do - It will rise and fall on manual adjustment but wont automatically rise to the right height. What do i look for on the front???!

Thanks for your help so far!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Update - Another Issue!

Post by CitroJim »

jtownson wrote: What do i look for on the front???!
The same :D The front height corrector and link look a bit different but are in concept and operation is exactly the same as the rear one.

You'll find access is poorer though. get the car safely supported high up at the front and crawl under. The front height corrector is buried up in the rear edge of the front subframe. "Buried" is almost the right word :twisted:

Just be thankful it's not an Activa you're working on!!!!! :lol:
Jim

jtownson

Post by jtownson »

Thanks Jim,

Buried?! I wouldnt like to change anything on the front height corrector put it that way!!! Anyway i WD40'd the front and also moved the mechanism and I think it had jammed as it creaked as i moved it and is now working fine...but.. Now the clip on the back has popped off again, what a merry go round!!! I will buy a new one and fit it, but just wondering how I get the old clip off to fit the new one?

Also..bit of a silly question but what grease do i use to grease everything up again?! Can i get it from halfords?

Thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the nylon link will just pull off, if it was the old one you re/used it will keep commimg off,

after oiling every thing i use spray grease, like bike chain lube, and its probably cheaper at a motor factors than hal frauds

regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

Hi,

Yes the clip will just pop off like the side that has popped off already, but 90 degree twisted. IIRC they are £1.39 from citroen. What I did temporarily was to hold the broken side in place with cable ties, not gonna last forever but it will help a bit, I also cable tied the new clip on too as my balls were corroded/rusted incase it fell off again. The new clip will be tight and unless you can crush an apple with ur hand u won't have the strength to just pop it on.

The front h/c should be ok unless the clip has popped off. Because it is 'burried' so deep it is protected from the elements.

WD40 will loosen things up, spray a few times every day and while doing some citrobeotics and then oil it up, grease itself isn't the best, as it will catch more crud, it will do though, and some on here will recommend it.

As for putting the clip back on, I think it's best to do it with the car on full height, and the lever on full height position: reason being- if the clip isn't on then it won't self level to the normal height, it will either be stuck on the low position as the front will be on normal, or on full height (after telling it to)... the clip itself doesn't affect the moving of the lever to manually adjust the height (the clip only corrects for movement in the anti-roll bar after adding weight to the car), moving to high(est) will pump all the lhm to the struts and it will stay there with a broken clip even if you tell it to go back to normal (the front will lower to normal though), as the clip is broken it doesn't get any info from the car (anti-roll bar) as to what position normal is in order to open the valve in the height corrector to correct the height (lower it). So it will be stuck on high(est), and ur lever will be high(est) too, so both side of what you need will be synchronised for the clip to clip on, and you will have the space too. If you look at how it all works, you will see what I mean.
jtownson

Post by jtownson »

Thanks all, looking forward to getting a new clip and trying that now! I tried to cable tie the old one, just to keep me going for a few days and I couldnt find a decent enought bit to tie it round, but then again my cable ties were a bit on the short side!! I will cable tie the new one on just to get it extra protection....out of curiosity though has anyone tried to super glue it on?! ha ha
deian

Post by deian »

you can always use two cable ties together if u know what i mean, not two loops, but one big one... doubt superglue would work, that is better for plastic to plastic joins, plus u need the movement for the ball.

don't expect the cable ties to last long tho, maybe if you can fit a jubilee (victoria clip) somehow?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

deian wrote:Yes the clip will just pop off like the side that has popped off already, but 90 degree twisted. IIRC they are £1.39 from citroen.
Just for clarity, and before I place my order this week, all the correction links are identical aren't they? Even the Activa roll correction one.

The only difference I can see on the Citroen Service site is that the front and rear have a washer, but the roll corrector doesn't.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no good supper glueing it on as it is a ball and socket joint which needs to move inside its self, as the mechanisum moves, and there is not usualy any need to cable tie a new nylon link on

regards malcolm