Why the sudden change in performance ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Why the sudden change in performance ?

Post by hirsty »

After being made redundant in September, I finally got the time (but not the finance) to start to renovate my Xantia. It has been neglected by the previous owner for three years and was in dire need of some TLC. I have renewed the brakes and spheres, cambelt, water pump, alternator belt. Finally the internal fan works as do all the dash lights following major surgery. I have been using Redex Injection Cleaner and have noticed a steady improvement in performance until today. I took the car out this morning and couldn't believe the difference. I thought someone had fitted a turbo while I was asleep. The auto box changes were smoother and the annoying thud when changing from acceleration to overrun have all but disappeared. Could I have had a blocked injector ? I just hope it stays this way.
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ah, "Mr Thud" - our friend in the AL4. :roll:

I am starting to think the transmission doesn't always correctly sense throttle position (electrical contact issue), and thus it guesses on driving style. Mine is smoother in Sport mode, which always seems odd.

I've posted elsewhere about discovering this drivetrain configuration having less mount points and thus more floppiness...

Regards, Adam.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

High air pressure currently...
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks for your thoughts addo. If it's electrical contacts, where should I be looking ? Will follow your post re floppy subframe with interest.
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First thing might be to check the multi-contact switch atop your transmission, for good conductance.

Then I'd be looking for whatever throttle position (kickdown or "excition" in Franglais) switch it has - not sure if it's taken off the throttle body, or down near the pedal. That could well be the culprit IMO - but pure speculation, as I've neither found mine nor serviced it.

Regards, Adam.