Cooling fans not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Cooling fans not working

Post by MikeT »

I know it's been well covered before, I've spent the last evening reading as much as I can but taking it all in wasn't possible (memory full or CRC failure I think :roll: )

The problem is my fans won't come on to cool the radiator. The temeperature gauge works, as does the temeperature warning light (shown when the ignition is first turned on) but despite nervously watching the temperature climb to a scary 111 degrees, the fans remained motionless while neither the STOP light or the temp warning light illuminates.

It does have A/C but this was bypassed (2002 I think) because the compressor clutch had seized. If I remove the brown sensor connector on the thermostat housing while the engine is running, there's a 1-2 second delay then the N/S fan spins up full speed. Apart from at least one fan working, does that eliminate any other component from the tests I need to carry out?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike
Sorry to hear that you are having the dreaded fan problem :twisted:
Im sure Clogzz will offer much more technical info than i can but ill put my tuppence worth in now :) :)

As you know both fans must operate together at both speeds so i would diagnose the problems as follows
1. Bitron sensor is working as it should otherwise fan would not work when sensor removed
2. As only one is working at full speed suspect relay to inop fan faulty as if ok working fan should run at both speeds
3. Switch over relay for full speed working
4. Non working fan may be faulty but should not stop working fan running at both speeds
5. As temp gauge working suspect contacts from sensor to bitron being at fault because as soon as sensor removed open circuit sets fan/fans at full speed or possibly sensor itself as i think one part sends signal to gauge other part to the bitron

As you know Mike im no expert but i reckon you may have found the cause of the original HG failure

If you find that the inop fan is dead then i do have a couple of spares that you are more than welcome to along with a bitron unit but these are all from a S1 not a S2 which i believe yours to be

Im sure others will be able to give more detail info im just going from amature fubblings :lol: :lol:

Colin
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Your first job is to get both fans running at high speed. If one fan doesn't run at high speed, then neither will run at low speed.

Start by checking the relays between the fans. These can fail, or can burn at the connectors. I have even had one that had just fallen out of its socket.

If the relays look OK, you can (with a bit more info than I have to hand) bridge the appropriate relay socket connections to run each fan, in order to check that the fan motors are OK.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

Here's the cooling circuits for the MK2..

Circuit

Harnesses

Locations

Hope they help Mike....

Apologies they're a bit on the tilt.. MK2 diagrams are printed on inferior paper compared to the MK1 ones and they don't lie so well on the scanner bed :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'll have to suspend this thread until xmas is over now. Thanks everyone and have a good holiday.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

have a good one Mike

John
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I've been doing testing today and can confirm all three relays are good. I'm not sure which of the two green relays are left and right. One is on the right but the other is bottom centre with the switch over relay on the left. :?

I would be grateful if anyone could logically assess the data I've aquired so far. With the relays removed, I found the following pins showing +12V

Ignition OFF
R.H Relay Pin3
B.C. Relay Pin3

Ignition ON
R.H. Relay Pin3 & Pin1
B.C. Relay Pin3
L.H. Relay Pin1

Ignition ON and Temp Sender disconnected
R.H. Relay Pin3 & Pin1
B.C. Relay Pin3
L.H. Relay Pin1

...which has confused me even more. I'll try and decipher the wiring diagrams given (thank you) to see what each pin connects to, though from the relay diagrams I can see that Pin3 is the high current IN feed with pin5 being the high current OUT feed. Pins 1 & 2 being the on/off switch.

Off to study the diagrams now, I may be some time :roll:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Looking at the circuit diagram pin number 1 of the BC relay should be live with the ignition on or off. That's assuming the BC relay is the one numbered 1502 in the wiring diagram.

The +ve to pin 1 of the BC relay is supplied by fuse F14 in the BF00 unit.

Fuse F14 needs to be checked.

It looks like one of the fans (1511) could run on fast speed if F14 has popped but that depends on whether the control unit 8010 will work if fuse F14 is no good. So, when you pull the brown sensor and only one fan runs at high speed that points at F14 being popped.

Basically the two fans are connected in series to run together on slow speed and then are connected in parallel to both run on high speed.

Good luck.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mike,

Doesn't look quite right there somewhere...

You should have:

Ign off:

12V on pin 3 of both the fan relays;
12V on pin 1 of one of the fan relays (1502) - the bitron must switch the earth side of the relays to activate them.
Pin 5 on the change over relay should be continous to earth.

Ign on:

As above, but you should now have 12 V on pin 1 on all relays

Sensor dis-connected:

As you have seen there is no difference between the 12V on the pins - the Bitron will earth pin 2 on all the relays, so you should be able to measure continuity to earth on these pins.

You are missing the 12V feed to pin 1 on 1502 by the looks of it. This comes via F14 as Kev suggets and is the first place the look.
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

KevMayer; Thanks for confirming the Left Fan Relay(1502)Pin1 should be live, that's about all I managed to figure out. Yes, to confuse me more, on this Xantia the Switch Over Relay (1504) is positioned where the Left Fan Relay(1502) is shown on the harness diag Jim supplied. And even the handbook is conspiring against me - it states fuse 14 is 5A for "Injection ECU - Refrigeration Cut-Off Relay" I'll check them anyway as my handbook also says Engine Bay Fuse 3 is 30A for "Cooling Fan" & Fuse 5 is 5A for "Cooling fan". Thanks again Kev.

RichardW; As above and I confirm I hadn't traced any earths, just looked for +ve signals. I'll learn!! Thanks. Looking promising on finding the culprit. I might even find time to short the pins that should fire the left fan.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Shorting pins 3 & 5 of 1502 will spin both fans at the low speed.
That’s 30 & 87 on the relay.

It does look like there’s a run of cars with the relays in strange places.
This violet one is the change-over relay.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Clogzz, I assume that should work while the other realys are still removed? Incidentally, my relays are marked pins1-5 as well as the connector socket (not that it makes any difference).

That's how mine are located only the violet one is black.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

It won’t work without the change-over relay in because the current for low speed passes through pins 3 & 4 of the change-over relay.
This contact is closed with the relay at rest, and is open when energised for the high speed.

I’ve got a black 5-pin relay here, instead of it being in its place in the car. :twisted:
It also has the pin numbering from 1 to 5, and a black-on-black diagram on the side, showing pins 3 & 4 closed when not energised.

The black relay, of ‘Cartier’ brand, is an original Citroën fitment, and says 25 Amps above the side diagram.
For its 25 Amps, it’s heavier than some no-name relays that claim 40 Amps.

My car only has relay 1502 in it, from when I was fiddling to find the cause of unnecessarily going to high speed.
That’s fixed now, and the other two relays will go back in when I can make time for that.

The picture shows the usual arrangement with 1502 at top right, and a piece of wire acting as pins 3 & 4 of the change-over relay.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Clogzz wrote:It won’t work without the change-over relay in because the current for low speed passes through pins 3 & 4 of the change-over relay.
Ok, will replace the COR before I try. Alternatively, could I also jumper 3&4 instead?
Clogzz wrote:I’ve got a black 5-pin relay here...It also has the pin numbering from 1 to 5, and a black-on-black diagram on the side, showing pins 3 & 4 closed when not energised.
That's exactly what I have/was fitted as the COR
Clogzz wrote:The black relay, of ‘Cartier’ brand, is an original Citroën fitment, and says 25 Amps above the side diagram.
Ditto, as are the two green fan relays I have.
Clogzz wrote:The picture shows the usual arrangement with 1502 at top right
This initially confused me as the pic shows your 1502 as the Black relay which I'm calling the COR but I suppose it doesn't matter as it'll operate the same.

It's all good learning experiences. Thanks and I'll report back my findings when I've tried all the suggestions made.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, you can jumper pins 3 & 4 of the change-over socket.
That’s how mine is working now, but it’s not too obvious from the picture with the black jumper wire.

If all the relays have 5 pins, they can be changed all around.
All that matters is that the change-over relay socket with 5 terminals gets a 5-pin relay put into it.

Enjoy a good fiddle. :)