Xantia 1.9Tdi Fan cutting in all of a sudden

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

k2col
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9Tdi Fan cutting in all of a sudden

Post by k2col »

Hi

Help... yesterday my '97 Xantia Mk1 1.9Tdi has developed a worrying problem.

I hear the fan coming on, after less than a mile or so of urban driving. Not gridlock, just ordinary 30-50mph relaxed urban driving. Outside temperature is about 5-10C so this can't be good....

I checked the coolant level and it seemed about right - I topped up a little and it hasn't helped. The dashboard temperature gauge stays pretty low even when the fan is on.

There is heat from the internal heater - although having not had the car for long, I'm not sure whether it's as hot as it should be.

This morning a STOP light came on when I was driving. It wasn't safe to do so at the time, and it went out again once I'd pulled away from the lights (and got a bit of fresh air flowing again?).

Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated. I thought I'd pick up a thermostat at lunch time and fit it tomorrow morning, just in case, but that's about as far as my mechanical abilities go I'm afraid :(

Thanks,
k2col
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi
Have a look at this thread
i had the same/similar problems :)

Colin