help required.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

help required.....

Post by vince »

Guys n girls,

95 Xantia hatchback, problem is that i have a wet rear passenger footwell. It seems to be confined to the front left hand corner of the rear footwell (as seen if you were sitting in the back passenger seat) so just behind the front seat on the left hand side.

Aswell as that, i have a rushing water sound on acceleration and deceleration again on the passenger side. It "rushes" long enough to be covering the length of the passenger compartment.

I had the rushing water sound problem on a 406 I had which turned out to be water stored in the sill. I parked the car on a hill with the boot facing downhill and drilled a small hole under the rear sill and an unbelievable amount of water ran out of the hole. It never wet the rear footwell though.

Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks
Vince
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Do you have a sunroof on that car?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

In addition to a sunroof drain issue, the wet rear floor could be due to a faulty door seal. As for the rushing water in the sill take a look at the front of the rear wheel arch about a 3/4rd of the way up and check to see if the square plug is intact. New ones are available from Citroën. As for draining the sill, there are several drain points along the sill which consist of a slightly wider section, they are more than likely blocked up and just need clearing with a suitable piece of wire
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks guys, it does have a sunroof but the ceiling of the car is dry.? does that rule that cause out?

I have checked the door seal and it looks ok, but i suppose the best test will be to go for a drive on the motorway when its raining with the footwell lined with cardboard or kitchen roll to see if i can track where its coming in from.

I will check the drain points because a while back i went to scotland and drove past a horse show which caked the sills in mud both sides, would have been easy to block them up.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

My first Xantia had a sunroof, the back carpet (right hand) would get wet if it was ever parked (on a wet day) with the nose higher than the tail.

My parking space at home sloped the other way, so I never got around to fixing it.

My point is that you might try parking it nose downhill for a while.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also if the memgrain between the door and door card/trim is not in place properly, it will allow water to come in under the trim but above the weather seal on top of the door sill

you can also check if you roof drains are blocked, with car pointing up hill, sun roof open tip water in the gully around the sun roof apperture, you will/should get water running out at the rear both sides, the with car pointting down hill do the same again, this time water should run out at the rear of the front wheel arche's

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Vince,

Do check that the front passenger side carpet is dry underneath.

So often you'll find a damp rear passenger side is caused by a leak at the windscreen scuttle seal and the wet has run through from the front to the rear.

I'll not be surprised if you find your front well and truely saturated and the water has run through to the rear under the crossmember.

Have a look at my latest blog post. I've just been through the same thing on my Activa but the wet stopped just short of the crossmember.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Will do thanks Jim,

The front passenger footwell is a little damp but not wet per say.
I figured it was sweat from the underside of the overmats. The car was freshly valeted when i bought it and the carpets still damp. You could tell it was that because you could feel the soap in it.

i will read the blog and do the tests.....see how i get on.....thats when i get rid of this damn flu that ive had for what seems like an eternity :x