Haynes Workshop manual?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Haynes Workshop manual?

Post by Old-Guy »

Can anyone suggest a Haynes Workshop Manual (not a slim-line 'Service and Repair' job) for another make/model that covers the manual gearbox in my 1995 Xantia S1 TD?

Locally, we have a proper secondhand (charity) bookshop with a shelf of BoLs. For the couple of quid involved, I'd grab an appropriate manual against the day I ever need to overhaul the 'box.

Unless of course somebody is going to tell me that a load of Citroen special tools are essential? :roll:

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Guy, I think you've got it in one! :o

I think the reason why the BOL does not do transmissions is that most require a fair number of jigs and service tools along with a wide selection of spares to draw from as you may need to cross match components to ensure tolerances are correct.

Gearbox building is a 'Black Art' best left to them that has all the required skills and bits. You would not want a box of false neutrals, would you? :shock:

If you do feel so inclined, you would be better getting the service manual, even a copy on hard disk would give you a view to the scope of the subject. Modern gearboxes are a little more complex than the old three and four speeders with just single input and output shafts.

I was not aware that Haynes ever did anything other than these weekend DIY brochures, for simple repairs.

Handyman, :roll:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

:D 8)

Edited to reformat page - save horizontal scrolling.
Steve
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Aha, un frog Livre de Mensonge, tres bien Andrew! :shock:

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look on my website Guy BE3 Gearbox Pages.

Some BoLs do cover the gearbox. The Uber-rare Orange 205 manual, the Purple 405 manual and the Brown BX manual.

Colour is important as these colours signify the early versions called "Owners Workshop Manual" The later BoLs called "Service and Repair Manual" are differently coloured and don't cover the gearbox in any detail, such as the pale blue 405 manual.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks everybody, especially Andrew and Jim.
I'll have a good look when the brain's working again (flu) - can't even type straight today!

Guy
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Haynes stopped producing the Workshop manuals (the ones based on a complete strip down) because they felt they were scaring potential customers away.
They therefore "dumbed down" and produced the simpler Service and Repair manuals.
If memory serves, there used to be a blue book specifically on the XUD, which may have included the gearbox.
This was back in the days when my parents had a 405TD though.

Course we could all lean on Jim to produce a "Citrojim Book of Truth" :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Xac wrote
Haynes stopped producing the Workshop manuals (the ones based on a complete strip down) because they felt they were scaring potential customers away.
The much reduced workshop effort in a Service and Repair Manual (for the same retail price) had nothing to do with the decision?

There is/was a copy of the Haynes "Citroen Diesel Engine" Manual (actually for the XUD) in our local s/h bookshop - but it covers the engine(s) only.

Guy