Tips before I attempt to start the engine after HG repair

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Tips before I attempt to start the engine after HG repair

Post by MikeT »

Priming the fuel - I've got that covered and a spare battery if it needs a lot of cranking to get all the air out.
Priming the oilways - I'm thinking; disconnect the IP stop solenoid feed so it doesn't try to inject fuel and cranking the engine on the battery. For how long?
Bleeding the coolant - I don't have any concerns there having successfully done this a few times before.
Anything else I should be aware of? I was advised to run the engine up to when the fans kick in and then allow it to cool overnight.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Regarding the cranking of the engine to prime the IP and the oil circuit.

Remove the glowplugs and the starter and battery will have a much easier life during the cranking phase.
Also if you have another car to use for this time have its engine running and use it to provide charge power to the battery thus allowing it to live a bit longer as you dont want to crank it and run the battery flat, its not good for them....

Also while the glowplugs are out put a teaspoon of engine oil down each pot to lessen the resistance that bit more. Really this is for full engine rebuilds so as to ensure the rings aren't running dry and scrapping the cylinder walls but if the engine has been stood for a while it could help just as much.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

get someone elss to start it up, then if it gose bang you can blame them,

TEA HE

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

You might want to turn it over slowly and carefully by hand (socket on c/s pulley bolt) two complete revolutions to just make absolutely sure check that valves and pistons don't collide because the crankshaft is one revolution adrift.

If you just changed the head gasket, all the wearing/bearing surfaces in the head are no worse lubricated than if the car had been standing for a few days. If you stripped the head, I hope you lubricated as you re-assembled.

Best of luck

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

KP wrote:Remove the glowplugs
Oh no, not again... please not now everything's been refitted :shock: Hmm, that's given me an :idea: might it be easier to remove the injectors?
KP wrote:Also if you have another car to use
Yes, the Granada is working, just not insured and I also have another heavy-duty battery fully charged.
KP wrote:Also while the glowplugs are out put a teaspoon of engine oil down each pot to lessen the resistance that bit more
The bores were well coated before the head went back on. Thanks KP!
citronut wrote:get someone elss to start it up, then if it gose bang you can blame them
Are you volunteering Malcolm? Come to think of it, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go bang - or would it be rattle clunk, whoosh, pfft, boing, tinkle? :lol:
Old-Guy wrote:You might want to turn it over slowly and carefully by hand
This was done when the new cambelt went on
Old-Guy wrote:If you stripped the head, I hope you lubricated as you re-assembled.
I did. I coated the lobes, bearings, followers and all the valve components, thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Come on Mike, go for it. We're all on tenterhooks here you know...

In fact, some of us are so on the edge of our seats, we're in danger of falling off :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I would go along with disconnecting the wire to the stop solenoid & giving it a few turns over....I wouldn't mess on removing injectors etc...I'm sure it will be fine.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
deian

Post by deian »

Live dangerously Mike! You know you want to do it...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Go fo it Mike - Hope all goes well.

I've got to start mine up after cambelt change soon. Finally recieved aux belt so will fit that tomorrow, just need to refit simple bits, flush the cooling system and refill during which I will turn the key. Tis slightly nervewracking no? :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

tis like one of them there game shows on ta box, were they take a break before anouncing the winner after a long pause,

go on Mike be a devil and fire her up you know you want to

whats the worst that can happen you will just have to stip it all down again, but this time you will know how it gose
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Apart from being incapacitated these last few days I'm going to delay adding the oil I bought and instead get some cheap tesco oil plus a flushing agent for the first run so don't hold your breath. I'll post the results of the first starting attempt in my blog as it's obviously attracting interest as well as getting off-topic :P

I don't have a garden, or a hose, at least not one that will reach around the block to where the car is so I won't be flushing the coolant system at this point but I will be refilling the LHM tank with hydrincarnage (or whatever it's called) and know I need to bleed the brakes in order until they run clear but are there any other procedures I should observe?
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Mike, can we all pop over to watch the moment? :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair