"Main Stealer" Literally Lives Up To Nickname

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

"Main Stealer" Literally Lives Up To Nickname

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Check out this report about how a main stealer, not only left their customers in the lurch, but also their staff as well!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Sadly, a sign of the times...

that forecourt must've been full off cars at some point
- someone must've noticed them all going somewhere!! :shock:

Andrew
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It certainly is a sign of the times, and the customer who can view his trapped car must be very P**S*D off as he can see it, but can't get at it.

The technicians were trapped in this case, until the equipment was released possibly as a result of the BBC TV news crew being in attendance, and it is probably happening at other dealerships that have gone down the pan like this.

They can also have so many tools they do not have the space at home to store them, and depend upon being able to leave them in a place big enough to store them, I.E. their workplace.

The customers do not get their problems sorted out so easily though, because their new car is linked into the dealership, and the dealerships problems whereas the tools are on site, to be used by the owner, the technician, legally the technicians could sue the dealership for obstruction to future employment, and for witholding property that is not theirs.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

In the past their was a thread on the FCF about the Citroen main dealer Lovekyn going down the pan.

Although having said that it seems to be back in business again under new management.

Also though along with the one that's featured in this thread, there has been another more recent one that went down the soil pipe, Meashams has ceased to be.
ACTIVA

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

ACTIVE8 wrote:The customers do not get their problems sorted out so easily though, because their new car is linked into the dealership, and the dealerships problems whereas the tools are on site, to be used by the owner, the technician, legally the technicians could sue the dealership for obstruction to future employment, and for witholding property that is not theirs.
Surely the mechanic would be within his rights to use a locksmith or to gain entry to the building in order to recover his property?

A heads-up to the local cop shop before starting would probably be advisable though...

The customer in the video should have paid the deposit on his new car using a credit card. At least he could reclaim his money from the cc company and walk away
ImageImage
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Ross_K wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:The customers do not get their problems sorted out so easily though, because their new car is linked into the dealership, and the dealerships problems whereas the tools are on site, to be used by the owner, the technician, legally the technicians could sue the dealership for obstruction to future employment, and for witholding property that is not theirs.
Surely the mechanic would be within his rights to use a locksmith or to gain entry to the building in order to recover his property?

A heads-up to the local cop shop before starting would probably be advisable though...

The customer in the video should have paid the deposit on his new car using a credit card. At least he could reclaim his money from the cc company and walk away
I suppose it would be a very tempting proposition for the technician to do, after seeking appropriate advice.

It's also ironic on one level that having probably been required to open cars up for customers, who have locked themselves out of their cars, he/she now finds that they are now themselves locked out.
ACTIVA

k2col
My Cars:

Post by k2col »

hey that's my local dealer! Not that I've ever stepped foot inside...

I noticed it was deserted a couple of weeks back, but it seemed to be fully stocked with Citroens again when I drove past last weekend!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Wonder where the Citroen C6 turns up after its disappearance act
from the main showroom! :P C6? What C6...?

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I've never heard that a mechanic had to purchase and collect their own tools when working at dealerships (or indies for that matter).

Is that a peculiarity for UK mechanics ?

Its not customary over here. Here you borrow a complete set of tools once you are hired. The garage then owns the toolset.
This toolset must never leave the workshop so you cant do moonshine jobs using the tools.

Would be interesting to learn more on these matters, as this often explains sayings or doings, not quite understood by alien creatures lurking around here .... :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

AndersDK wrote:I've never heard that a mechanic had to purchase and collect their own tools when working at dealerships (or indies for that matter).

Is that a peculiarity for UK mechanics ?

Its not customary over here. Here you borrow a complete set of tools once you are hired. The garage then owns the toolset.
This toolset must never leave the workshop so you cant do moonshine jobs using the tools.

Would be interesting to learn more on these matters, as this often explains sayings or doings, not quite understood by alien creatures lurking around here .... :wink:
Almost all places are like that here Anders, and it's a rip off!

The company set up is preferable, because it makes things easier as it saves having to fork out so much on all the tools, and a great big, in most cases Snap On box to put them in, a lot of these techs even buy Snap On tools to put in them and they are not cheap!

At least you can tell people to keep out of your box when you own it, where as if you have all got company boxes there is a tendency for others to help themselves, and not put it back!

If the company tools wear out Anders I take it they replace them, but do they buy Snap On for them, or basic cheapo jobs, and you say the techs "borrow" the tools, but do companies charge for that facility?
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Here, too - with the exception of marque-specific tools and also plant (such as presses, jacks, very large pullers etc) you are assumed to bring into the position your own tools/storage chests.

In return they will be informally covered by the employer against loss through break-in or fire.

Apprentices get a grant from the Government to assist in building up their tool array - this crosses many trades, not just mechanics.

The big advantage for employees, is they can say "@$#% you, I'm leaving" and walk out with all their kit, ready to work elsewhere... Tools which quite possibly a company apprentice has also been using!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi addo

I suppose you could call that a bargaining/negoiating tool! :wink: :)
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

True! :lol:

This (silly) time of year, it is at least frequently threatened - if not enacted, too.