Replacing 407 Bottom Balljoints

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Replacing 407 Bottom Balljoints

Post by myglaren »

A friend at work has just been quoted £280 for the replacement of both bottom balljoints on his 407.

Seems rather a hefty sum :roll:

What's involved in this work? How DIY'able is it and is the quoted price reasonable for the work?

Last edited by myglaren on 15 Dec 2008, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Steve -

A hasty lookup on Peugeot servicebox reveals these balljoints are the same style as found on BX, Xantia, 405 & 406.

If you have tried such a job home in the driveway you will know there is no "next time" on this job, but rather left to the pro's :roll:

Problem is the large diameter thread that the balljoint is screwed in to the bottom of the hub. The balljoint crumbles if you dont have the special tool.
Even that is no guarantee the balljoint will come out :evil:

But still £280 seems to be on the high side ...
Gert a couple more quotes ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The BX boys always recommend a big hammer and cold-chisel as the preferred method of extracting them Anders :lol:

I have the whole hub off and hold it securely in a big vice to undo them. Never tried the "BX Method" but they swear by it :lol:

I know what a job they are and for the need of a special tool to replace them. I hate doing them.

Personally, I'd charge £2800 per side :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thaks for the advice guys.

I had mine done on the C5 and was under the impression that they were the same on a 407.

The guy at work with the Berlingo assures me that this is not so and that the 407 has the joints welded into the arms and the whole arm has to be changed and this allegedly involves removing the McPherson strut among other things.

He has a mate with a 407 who has recently had this done and has been told that it is a common fault with high mileage vehicles - the one in question is a 54 plate and has 120,000+ on the clock.

He did get another quote during the day ond it was £240, a bit better but not much.

I paid next to nothing for mine - I already had the ball joints, my son in law did one side with great difficulty, I had the other done when the car was serviced and I don't think he even bothered to charge for it.

It surprises me that there should be such a difference between the two cars. I have to admit to a fair amount of scepticism here.

Ed: title and posts - silly me put 307 and it should have been 407 :oops:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

407 ?

Dear Steve -
Thats an entirely diferent story then :P

Its got the aforementioned style balljoint at top of the hub, carrying the weight on that wheel.
The lower one is some ZX'ish style clamp something.
Not exactly the wellknown BX/Xantia style setup ...
Far from that I'd say.

Makes it even worse IMHO :shock:

In fact the whole setup reminds me of the CX front hub setup, which had the upper balljoint pressed into the arm, and the lower balljoint just bolted on with 2 small 13mm head bolts.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Looks as though the quotes are about right then.

In fact the whole setup reminds me of the CX front hub setup, which had the upper balljoint pressed into the arm, and the lower balljoint just bolted on with 2 small 13mm head bolts.
As with the GS - and when those puny little bolts let go - on a busy roundabout - Oh! Dear what a mess. Needle rollers everywhere :(