TurboCT alternator in other Citroens?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

TurboCT alternator in other Citroens?

Post by ekaftan »

My TurboCT's alternator died. I took it to a local shop that 'fixed' it for US$150 and it lasted a day... new is not valiable and for a used one they want US$500.

I am going parts hunting tomorrow and, as nobody down here knows what a TurboCT is, I though maybe an alt from another Citroen or maybe a Peugeot may fit...

Its a Mitsubishi unit, with two bolts on a plastic bracket for bat positive and batt light, no spade connectors (althoug if it fits I dont care if I have to fabricate the connectors)

Thanks.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I was thinking about buying this myself for my Xm as a handy spare,
but it sounds like your need is greater:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-2-0-LITRE ... 0313990404

Have a look on UK ebay for new one's too - they do turn up.

Andrew
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

andmcit wrote:I was thinking about buying this myself for my Xm as a handy spare,
but it sounds like your need is greater:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-2-0-LITRE ... 0313990404

Have a look on UK ebay for new one's too - they do turn up.

Andrew
Mine does not look like that... the mounting bracket is simpler, with only two ears not three....

you can have it :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Apart from the XM CT, the only other PSA to use this engine, to my knowledge, was the early Peugeot 406 SRi and Executive. Both rare cars though :(

Try taking the alternator to a good factor and matching it to his stock and find one similar. I did this when I had to replace my Activa Alternator. Not listed at my factors so I did a match-up of all the alternators for various Pugs and Cits he had in stock and found the same alternator was used (if my memory serves) on the Xantia 2.0 16V (XU10JP4 engine).
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

citrojim wrote:Apart from the XM CT, the only other PSA to use this engine, to my knowledge, was the early Peugeot 406 SRi and Executive. Both rare cars though :(
It was fitted to the Xantia (Activa, Turbo CT, and late model exclusive estate). And IIRC it was fitted to the Evasion in some countries (though not the Synergie, which was the UK version).

Probably found it's way onto some other Pugs (605?).

I always found it easier to get parts for mine from Peugeot, the local Citroen dealer didn't know what it was.
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

I rescued the car saturday (it was still on the Garage that had failed to fix it) and removed the alternator sunday, not without cursing an entire generation of french engineers for their creative placement of bolts and the lack of space to manouver the thing out without removing the entire engine, but I disgress...

I took the alt to the same shop that had overhauled it and they took it apart in front of me. Brushes and rings were visibly scorched so they chastised me for installing it without recharging the battery first, replaced the regulator, and did not charge me again...

It took me another two hours to reinstall the thing, but it now works much better that before the first failure. Maybe replacing the battery terminals, which I also did this week, with bronze terminals and cleaning everything was a good idea.

And yes, I did recharge the battery this time before starting the car....
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

That's interesting. Why do they say you needed to recharge the battery first?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.