STOP light behaviour

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hilldweller
My Cars:

STOP light behaviour

Post by hilldweller »

Hi All,

Some of you may recall answering a couple of issues with my 98 Xantia Temptation (1.9D), but I now have a new query (potential problem!)

To cut a long story short, I topped up the LHM fluid the other day as the little umbrella thing was below the two lines. Now there's a little too much in but I've read that isn't a problem as long as it doesn't slosh out everywhere. :)

Anyway I left the car overnight depressurised (i.e. suspension fully lowered) and when I turned it on today the STOP light was on, the hydraulic control seemed to be stuck in place. After 5 minutes or so I was able to move it again to raise the car and the STOP light went out- is this normal?

Thanks

John
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Was it particularly cold where you are last night?
Could be the control froze?

As for the stop light being on until pressure builds up, that's quite normal.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Xac says, the height corrector linkages bear a good check-up. They may well be partially seized and in need of a good freeing up and lubricating.

You'll neeed to get right under the car to inspect. Make sure the car is SECURELY supported on good axle stands as these cars can kill if you're under and the suspension collapses. A distinct possibility wehn playing with height correctors.

Follw the lever control rods to the correctors and douse the height corrector mechanisms in WD40, allow to soak in for an hour or so and then work them back and forth untl they are nice and free. Then, use some spray grease to lubricate them.

The rear height corrector normally suffers worse as the front one often gets lubrication by way of oil leaks from the engine!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hilldweller
My Cars:

Post by hilldweller »

Ok chaps thanks for that. My father in law has a pit so I might just park it up over that tomorrow night and give the linkages a good spraying about with WD.

I'd probably never have noticed if I hadn't decided to clean and change the LHM (which is a nice thin brown gravy btw).

All the little problems which are cropping up are causing me a bit of concern as I've noticed that although the Citroens seem to be good motors, they do need regular maintainance. Buying one with a questionable history is perhaps something I'd think twice about next time if I just neededa cheap runabout.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

hilldweller wrote: All the little problems which are cropping up are causing me a bit of concern as I've noticed that although the Citroens seem to be good motors, they do need regular maintainance.
They do John, compared to many cars, they're high maintenance and need owner involvement in the form of regular inspections (once a week) and regular maintenance of everything. Any small problems need to be lept on immediately.

Follow this mantra and they're as reliable as the day is long and they'll rack up very high mileages with little worry or expense.

The secret is to work on getting everything well sorted out initially and looking after it thereon. You've made a good start with an LHM change. Height correctors are not a normal thing to find on everyday cars so they tend to be overlooked.

Follow the little and often maintenance mantra and all will be very rewarding. Neglect a Xantia at your peril. Trouble is, they'll soldier on with the most horrendous of faults for ages but when it all goes horribly wrong, they do, horribly! So many these days are in that condition; basically OK but needing work. If the basic car is good, it's well worth doing as you'll end up with a comfy, economical and reliable car that will become like an old friend and last for years. The bottom line is they do not rust to any significant degree so the life expectancy is very long.

Xantia (in fact Citroen generally) ownership is a bit like marriage: for life and always in need of TLC and attention :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...