citeroen beling 1.9d van wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

berlingo1

citeroen beling 1.9d van wont start

Post by berlingo1 »

hi guys,i have a problem with my van not starting i have had new battery new starter new plugs and new filter it only seems to do it every so often and once its started it fine all day but it always seems to be on the day i really need it any ideas?ive had all wiring and that checked
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is the starter actually turning the engine over when it wont start or is it dead? If it is you have a fuel supply problem, if its perfect for the rest of the day it doesn't sound like air ingress, more like a sticking stop solonoid or failure of the 12 volt supply to it.
berlingo1

Post by berlingo1 »

it turns it over but it just does not fire becoming a right royal pain as i am self employed.....does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it almost as if its just when it feels like it trying to think if its always when its cold but i dont think it is
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Do you get any smoke from the exhaust when you are trying to start it? Try pumping the primer untill it goes hard before you start.
berlingo1

Post by berlingo1 »

peter,
done what you said with primer and it started ........at least can now work today cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done :) You obviously do have air getting in somewhere.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

An XUD need three things to start: Preheating (always - hot or cold), fuel and compression. Loose any of the three and no start.

Peter, your smoke test is good. If it will not start and emits No SMOKE at all, this indicates no fuel is reaching the injectors. If it smokes white/grey smoke whilst not starting, this indicates that unburned fuel is going straight out of the exhaust, signifying either a loss of pre-heating (glowplugs not working) or a loss of compression.

Some XUDs can suffer from the valve clearances closing up to the point that when cold, the valves are just held off their seats, resulting in a dramatic compression loss. A quirk of the XUD is the valve clearances are tightest when they are stone-cold and it takes a mere whiff of heat to expand things sufficiently to allow the valves to close and the engine to start.

My bet here is that the glowplug controller is intermittently duff and now always engergising the glowplugs. Temporarily wire a small bulb on to one glowplug, visible from the dash, to see if this is the cause.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Well done :) You obviously do have air getting in somewhere.
Excellent :D Makes my post above a bit surplus to requirements now :lol:

Replace your leakoff pipes as a first step.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
berlingo1

Post by berlingo1 »

sounds like a job for a mechanic :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

berlingo1 wrote:sounds like a job for a mechanic :oops:
No, actually quite simple. Look at your injectors and you'll see little black rubber pipes daisy-chained between them and going off to the fuel return line on the pump. The last injector has a rubber blanking cap where another leakoff pipe would go if there were more injectors.

Pop into your local factors and pick up a leakoff pipe kit. This'll have about a yard of pipe and a new blanking cap.

Replace like-for-like and job done!

These pipes run hot, go brittle, leak and let air into the fuel return line which in turn empties the pump of diesel over time.
Jim