C5 Colour Screen problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

C5 Colour Screen problem

Post by KevMayer »

My 7" colour screen has gone blank.

For some time the screen display has been changing or bringing up menus every time I pulled on the handbrake.

Then the other day the radio channels began to change on their own. This seemed to follow me using the remote radio stalk on the steering column. I don't use this stalk very much because it's a bit awkward in it's arrangement.

Then the screen started to go on and off.

Then the screen went white and displayed this message
'Warning ! Reprogramming Sequence'

Now, when I first start the car the screen comes on as normal, but within a few minutes it displays the reprogramming Sequence message, then it goes black and stays black.

What could be happening and does anyone have a solution ?

Could this be a COMM2000 problem ?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

When I set off from work today everything worked. The whole 7" screen lit up, although it looked darker than usual. I tried the radio, the sat nav, a few menus and it all worked ok for around 10 minutes. The remote radio control stalk also worked for this period.

Then, after driving for 10 mins, the screen went bank, then came back, then blank again, then it came on with a white background and showed the 'Warning! Reprogramming Sequence' message. It then showed a bar progressing from left to right along the screen bottom and a message to tell me the programming had failed. Then it just went black and stayed black all the way home.

Once it had gone black, the radio still worked, although without any display, but, the remote radio control stalk had stopped working. None of it's functions worked.

I could still control the radio from the radio front panel.

I believe that the remote radio stalk and the cruise control stalks are separate to the COMM200 unit. So, maybe not a COMM200 problem after all.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

which setup do you have ? the navidrive unit with built in handsfree phone or the type with the normal radio with the seperate CD drive in the right hand glovebox ? I doubt very much a com2000 problem, it may be a poor connection on the fibre optic link between the screen & the CD drive.
Have you been having the problem since disconecting the battery at all ?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hi wheeler,

I have the version with the normal radio and the CD in the right hand side by the right knee. It's not the Navidrive with the built in phone.. that came in the later C5.

Where does the processor live which drives the screen. Is it part of the CD unit ?

I've not disconnected the battery for a while (weeks). But, each time the display has gone off I have looked at the CD drive in the right hand compartment and it appears to remain powered up, apart from one time when all the CD lights were off.
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My colour screen is still failing after around 15 mins of driving. Yesterday, just as it began to go off the display showed that all my doors, bonnet, boot and fuel flap were open and this was as I was driving along.

This morning, I was driving along and it began to fail and decided to tell me that 'excessive temperature may affect the accuracy of the navigation system' I assume it was referring to ambient temperature. It was obviously a false alarm because it's perishing cold outside.

Reading a few other threads here make me suspect that it's a problem with the BSI ? It looks like everything connects to the BSI.

Any help would be really welcome.
Cheers, Kev

bencowell

Post by bencowell »

How about your battery? Random electrical problems often point to the battery. There is another thread on here about them at present.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My battery is fairly new. But, I am suffering from a flickering left side Xenon headlamp at the moment. The length of time i've had the colour screen problem is roughly coincident with the flickering headlamp and, thinking about it, the lamp could be causing battery volts to fluctuate (maybe...outside chance perhaps ?? ).

The flickering lamp settles down when it's warmed up but this takes about 5 to 10 mins. Maybe the BSI sees the flickering as a system fault that it can't recognise and it throws a wobbler after it's suffered it for a few mins.
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

duplicate
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Does anyone know where the BSI can be found on my C5 ?
Cheers, Kev

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The BSI is the fusebox behind the glovebox on the passanger side, The CD drive in the drivers side glovebox is the navigation ECU.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks wheeler. I was hoping you'd reply. You seem to be the main man when it comes to dealing with C5 issues. I am grateful for you sharing your knowledge.
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Some progress on this problem.

The CD drive connects to a processor unit which sits above the CD drive housing. The connection is via fibre optic cable.

This processor is connected directly to the colour screen via a screened multicore cable.

When you open the processor housing the printed circuit board inside looks just like a graphics card on a desktop pc. This makes sense when you think about it. It is driving an LCD screen after all.

The processor unit has a 40 mm cooling fan, and, it looks like the fan has packed up. I took the instrument panel out of the dashboard and you can see the processor down to the right. I covered the fan exhaust holes with a piece of tissue. When I ran the engine there was no movement of the tissue so it looks like the fan is shot.

All I may need to fix it is a new cooling fan.

Cheers, Kev

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the excessive temperature might be low not high, although now it looks like your cooling fan has go kuput it could be that temperature its looking at

regards malcolm
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Good news,

I found a company in Germany, using Google, called EPS-ELEKTRONIC.

I sent my display ECU to them and they've tested and repaired it.

It cost me 494 EUROs which is a lot less than the £1200 that Citroen wanted for a new one.

Anyway, it arrived back last Thursday and it's fitted and working perfectly.

So now I have all my radio controls, SAT NAV, trip computer and alarm system etc all in full colour.

A good result.
Cheers, Kev

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

That's still a lot of money! We're looking at C5s to replace our car, but the curse of computerisation makes me worry about upkeep costs. Out of interest, did they say what they had to do to it in order to get it working properly again? I'm wondering if it was just the fan. Repairing modern multilayer PCBs with surface-mount components on them is difficult, but sometimes the faults are simple.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007