Xantia wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Xantia wont start

Post by Stekelly »

Hi folks. Having a majore issue with my 00 1.8 16v Xantia.

Basically it wont start. The starter motor is turning but no "catch" and ignition. I initially thought I had run out of fuel as I'd been drivign for a bit with the light on.When I turn the key to just before the starting position I get the (handbook description) Engine auto-diagnosis light as well as the STOP and hydraulic pressure and fluid level light.

If I keep it turning the starter motor for about 5 or 6 seconds the diagnosis light seems to go out and it nearly catches but doesnt.

Any ideas? I'm assuming somethign like the fuel pump? Any chance it could be somethign simple like it sucked up some dirt from the bottom of the tank when it ran low?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is the "key" symbol in your tacho staying on, or going out?

Have you depressed and then released the fuel cutoff button under the bonnet, near the offside hinge?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like fuel. There is an in-line fuel filter beside the tank that could be blocked or the pump in the tank could have died from running very low on fuel. Can you hear it prime ( a whirring noise) when you first switch on the ignition?

Tests: can you smell fuel in the exhaust after a period of cranking? If not, then it's fuel starvation. If you can, you've lost sparks and that's easy enough to check. have a plug out and rest it against the head and see a spark at the gap.

Take care. If the engine has had fuel injected and it has not fired, the cat will be full of neat petrol and it can go kabooom when it does fire with devastating consequences for the cat.

Also, check the inertia switch has not inadvertantly operated. It's the square relay-like thing in the engine bay with a rubber cap on it. press it to reset it.

I reckon, from what you say, that it's fuel problems as a result of running it very low. You have plenty of fuel in it now?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Have you depressed and then released the fuel cutoff button under the bonnet, near the offside hinge?
Sorry Adam. I'm nattering on MSN Messenger and took my time composing my Post and so did not see we both said the same thing. My apologies :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Vheers guys . only seeing th ereplies now, just tried the fuel cut off and the car seems to be turnig over much more in the normal way. Still not starting but its sounds more like its going to . Before alot of it was like a mechanical whirring then a bit of normal startign noise thrown in.

I only got about 4 litres in with the can , going to head down and get another 5 to chuck in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stekelly wrote:seems to be turnig over much more in the normal way. Still not starting but its sounds more like its going to . Before alot of it was like a mechanical whirring then a bit of normal startign noise thrown in.
That worries me. I hope I'm wrong but those sort of noises almost sounds a bit like the cambelt has slipped or broken. It has to be worth a check, if only to eliminate it as a cause.
Jim

Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

citrojim wrote: Can you hear it prime ( a whirring noise) when you first switch on the ignition?
Thanks for all the help folks.

I can hear the pump prime alright.

I'm currently no better off . Car still wont start. :cry:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

How many miles on the timing belt?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

it nearly catches but doesn’t
Does it crank normally, then just when you think it fires, the dash lights go dim like with a flat battery ?
I’ve had that, and it was the inside of the battery terminals that needed a clean with the wire brush.
It’s as if the instant it fires, the load on the battery increases.

The owner’s manual says to start without touching the accelerator.
Try hearing the idle stepper motor spin both ways before you crank: turn … clonk … return …clonk.

To start, you need fuel, spark and air.
The only air allowed in with the foot off the accelerator is dosed by the idle stepper motor.
If too much air goes in through a manifold vacuum leak, it will be difficult to start.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

addo wrote:How many miles on the timing belt?
Just hit 60k. I know it's overdue on time anyway (8 years). I'm assuming it's the original as theres no evidence of it being done in the service history although it is very clean (the whole engine bay was from when I got it) .

Was out having a tinker again today. Noticed that the red light in the coolant temp gauge cluster is on the first time I try start it after I unlock it (cant remember if that ever was on before or if it's supposed to come on). It's turning over and a few times it kind of splutters like it's about to start but doesnt.

Any chance it couyld be an immobiliser issue?

When I crank the engine the diagnostic light goes out but the hydraulic pressure and fluid level light stays on.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you had the spark plugs out for a look ? when was the last time it was started & how long did the engine run for before it was switched off ?
If your getting a whirring noise & the cambelt is ok then the engine may be flooded (with fuel). This should be easily identified by pulling the plugs out to see if there soaked.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

wheeler wrote:Have you had the spark plugs out for a look ? when was the last time it was started & how long did the engine run for before it was switched off ?
If your getting a whirring noise & the cambelt is ok then the engine may be flooded (with fuel). This should be easily identified by pulling the plugs out to see if there soaked.
Cheers I'll give that a go tomorow.

The last time I started the car was Sunday afternoon. It was in regular use up till it died. The 2 times it was started on Sunday were just to move it about 10 feet so I could wash my van , so it was just the 2 quick start/stops.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Almost certainly the timing belt.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Just an update. I changed the plugs and the fuel filter today and doesnt seem to help, although the battery is now close to dead . It wasnt the strongest anyway so Ithink I'll stick a new battery in..Think it might be time to hand it over to my mechanic.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Stekelly wrote:
wheeler wrote:Have you had the spark plugs out for a look ? when was the last time it was started & how long did the engine run for before it was switched off ?
The 2 times it was started on Sunday were just to move it about 10 feet so I could wash my van , so it was just the 2 quick start/stops.
That makes it a prime candidate for flooding. The excess fuel in the cylinders washes the oil from the cylinder bores making the engine loose compression,a couple of squirts of oil down each bore with dry spark plugs then crank it over for 10 seconds with the fuel pump fuse out, re fit it & try again.