405 mi16v 1993 uneven tickover 1000-2000 rpm

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobby

405 mi16v 1993 uneven tickover 1000-2000 rpm

Post by bobby »

I am looking for advice on how to cure the tickover problem on my MI16 as it is revving from 1000-2000rpm on tickover. Had it on Peugeot's computer and up to now replaced valve springs and cups for erratic valve bounce, new tappets, replaced Knock sensor, new head gasket and tried 2nd hand ECU (but think it was from a car with keypad immobiliser-would not start). Have swapped EPROM chip and put it in my original ECU, but to no avail!!!(still hunting on revs) Checked all hoses for air leaks, any ideas??? Before the overall temperature gets V.V.V.V.hot as gallon of petrol seems a good idea(but it is my wife's car) Man on the edge!!!!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If you can borrow a known good air flow meter off someone & give that a try I think you'll live happily ever after.
The carbon tracks can short & cause similar problems. There are ways of adjusting them that can often cause erratic idling in conjunction with heavier than normal fuel consumption.
Doubly check those intake hoses as well as intake manifold gaskets for leaks though. Thin shaving cream or a foaming type aerosol upholstery cleaner sprayed on suspect areas will cause slight leaks to "whistle" which can be detected by a piece of hose held on the area & up to the ear.
Alan S
bobby

Post by bobby »

Thanks mate!! Will give it a try!