front brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

front brakes

Post by paco »

hi

my 1995 2lt td has recently passed its mot , while changing a front offside wheel last week i noticed that the inboard brake pad is not wearing as quickly as the outboard pad, the inboard is roughly twice ad thick as the outboard, has anyone had this problem, does anyone know the cure, the car brakes fine.

regards

barry
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The sliding part of the caliber may be binding, I'd propose a partial strip down, don't separate the caliper halves though! and clean up the whole caliper and apply a little Coppaslip or brake grease to the sliding surfaces.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In addition to Steve's advice, check the handbrake cable adjustment. It is very critical. Check too the handbrake cables are goosd and are not partially seized. It's a common problem as the outser sheaths split where they slide in the guide rings and allow water in, thus seizing the cable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

thanks for the info. we have manage to shear the securing bolt for the back caliper , leaving some of the male thread inside the hole, the bolt felt very weak , and sheared under minimum pressure, is this a common fault, and what is the best cure.

regards

barry
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I suspect that the bolt had been weakened by the corrosion build up between the caliper and its mount on the hub assembly. My local indy has known the bolts to shear due to this.

The bolts are Loctited in and need winding right out with a socket/spanner. If you can get at the broken bit then I think the best way would be to centre punch the bolt, taking care to get the punch mark in the centre, and use a power drill to drill out the remains. Start with a small (2mm or thereabouts) drill bit and work up in size. You may find that when you get close to the core size of the bolt the remains will "give up" and make it easy to pick the last bits out.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would try a little heat on the lug of the rear arm first, then you might find you can spin the bolt stub out with the end of a screw driver, as will only be the lock tight or rust holding it now, there will not be any load on it ,

and the front pads im with Steve on that, because i think if it were cable related it will wear both pads more or less the same, is the dics suface dicoloured/blue

regards malcolm
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

the disc is not discoloured.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Three of my four bolts broke when I changed the rear discs. One had a bit sticking out, one broke flush and one broke sub-flush. They were all removed by welding a nut on, the two difficult ones were extended with weld. The process had to be repeated several times but they all came out. Each time of welding heated the area more, which helped things along.

You should organise replacement bolts from a Citroen dealer. I would buy four because you'll probably find they're all bent. I think it cost me about £17.

You also need to remove the corrosion that caused the problem in the first place. Most of it will be on the calliper but the hub would benefit from a scrape too. Some people like to reassemble with a sheet of polythene between the faces to prevent future corrosion.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.