A good reason to have a Petrol Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

A good reason to have a Petrol Xantia

Post by addo »

I love it! :mrgreen: Petrol (PULP) was today $1.169/litre. That's 49.5p!

It's not often you see the counter monkeys happy, but they were today - who'd be griping about such a comparatively low fuel price? This is down about a third on what we were paying six weeks ago.

So, I put a good splash into the tank, and thrashed all about the place in sport mode. :twisted: Hope the prices drop over in Europe and the UK to allow another (however shortlived) burst of "motoring for pleasure". Use it while you've got it.

Cheers, Adam.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

We'll never get it that cheap here. Mind, it has come down a lot recently.

What really annoys me is the price of diesel (as mentioned in another thread) 16p more expensive than petrol in some places. Petrol comes down and diesel stays the same. Just because the majority of people have diesels. It's a rip off.

Makes me want to get a V6 Xantia :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Toby_HDi wrote:We'll never get it that cheap here. Mind, it has come down a lot recently.

What really annoys me is the price of diesel (as mentioned in another thread) 16p more expensive than petrol in some places. Petrol comes down and diesel stays the same. Just because the majority of people have diesels. It's a rip off.

Makes me want to get a V6 Xantia :lol:
It used to be the other way round with the tax on the fuel, because prior to the more wide spread use of diesels, brought about by the common rail engines, the government used to penalise petrol engines, because they could stitch us up then.

Actually it feels like they still are, because the prices do not have the vast difference they had in the past.

Ah, a V6 Xantia yes please, I'll ask Santa for one!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Remember fuel duty is going up to compensate for the decrease in VAT.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

VAT

Value Added Tax.

When this first came out I was looking for the added value, :wink: but there wasn't any!

They might as well call it PAT.

Purchase Added Tax.
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Our fuel has three taxes on it. There's a state-based fuel levy (pro-rata), a fixed surcharge for road upkeep (riiiight :roll: ) and the good old GST (your VAT). Yep, it maddens me but that won't take the simple pleasure away, of being able to fill the car so cheaply when compared to our recent past.

A friend is driving his R25GTX from Brisbane to Sydney today. That's about 600 miles, and he's picked "Cheap Tuesday" for the fuel price. It should cost less than $120 even with his driving style! If prices do stay low, it might stimulate self-drive tourism again...

Cheers, Adam.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So that's a tax, on a tax, on a tax. :shock:

Is that compound taxing?

Here the Inland Revenue use a thing in their adverts, "tax does not have to be taxing" well actually, truth is it is!

The I.R. have their collective heads in the sand, like the Ostrich!
ACTIVA

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

HI ACTIVE8, :)

They introduced 10% VAT here in 2000.
Previous taxes got reclassified as charges, fees, levies, duties etc … and income tax deductible charges etc were abolished.
There’s VAT on charges etc, but they can say that the compounding is not from taxes.
Unless all these governments get pulled into line, we’ll all finish up at the soup kitchen. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Tomorrow (25th) is supposed to see really cheap fuel. I'm waiting! :twisted:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Just back from a seven day "road trip".

Achieved a genuine 33MPG in the estate, with one or two passengers all the way. We covered dirt roads, secondary roads and a little highway - total distance driven was over 2800km. Temperatures were up to mid-thirties at times.

Shared the driving with two "Citroën virgins" who both liked the car's positive feel in rough conditions, and its interior comfort. Got the tail out once, but easily corrected. Had a monster blowout on the nearside rear at speed; yet felt nothing more than the initial "pop".

Faults? I'm not blind, so here they are. Replacement cooling fan expired, so I am now faced with having to extract the digit and rebuild the originals. Interior fan motor also has gone intermittent (I suspect it's that wiper contact thing). High beams are weak compared to a Fuego or 505; the relay mod will be a good experiment. Dust sealing is poor, and on dirt roads the rubber flap valves in its rear lower quarters almost work backwards... On occasion the kickdown switch doesn't seem to trigger - it's a right bugger for accessibility too.

Really though - these gripes are so minor! The Xantia is a great package and I fear eventually replacing it with a 2009 C5 (albeit in 2018 :lol: ) will be a disappointment.

Cheers, Adam.