Newbie in dire straits!...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SatanicSynergie

Newbie in dire straits!...

Post by SatanicSynergie »

Hi all, looks like a nice helpful, friendly place you got here!
Ok well i dont like my 1st post to be asking for help but like i say im in dire straits with my Synergie!
I bought it cheap with the head gasket gone, the previous owner bought a newer Synergie but the front pipe was old on it and he had recently put a new one on the dead car, so had them swapped in his local garage.
I did the head gasket today, (much easier than it looks too!) and it is now sweet as a nut, but it appears that the muppet that swapped the front pipes didnt plug the lambda in, and i cant find the wiring it plugs into for the life of me! its running rich and the management light is on as a result, i wouldnt mind too much but the mot is up next week! arrrgggghhh! So, my question is, does anyone here own a 2.0i 8 valve synergie/806 that could tell me where it is please?!?!?
Thanks in advance all
Spencer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

couldnt you ask the previous owner if you can look at the one he has now,

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Spencer, what you need to check first of all is whether the front pipe is correct for that year and model of vehicle. GSF or Citroen will be able to help you with that.

Having worked in parts its very common for pipe designs to change several times on a vehicle in its life span, and the position of the lambda to change with it. It should be obvious to see the wiring the lambda plugs into. If not then either the lambda position is wrong (which it could be if the pipe is the wrong one) or the wiring has been hacked off (very unlikely), or the management light is on due to a different fault perhaps?

My guess is that the pipe is different on yours than the one you have fitted and the lambda is in the wrong place. If so then a way round this is to find the wiring loom for the lambda (it will be under there somewhere) and then extend the wiring to reach the lambda you have fitted.

Here is another question to ask....when you got the vehicle, before anything was changed, did it have a lambda fitted in the first place? Some vehicles werent fitted with them. The light may be on because of something else?

Happy hunting......look at these things as challenges rather than frustrations.....its a good outlook to have, you now run a citroen :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Vince it has got to have a LAMBDA sensor as it is a 2.0i petrol, if it were a diesel most of the time you dont need one, but i do agree with what you say regarding possibly diferant /wrong pipe fitted,
regards malcolm
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Guys, I think the original poster's problem is locating the wiring for the sensor, not the actual sensor itself!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
SatanicSynergie

Thanks for the replies, the guy i bought it off had the front pipes swapped between his new synergie and this one so i assume they were identical, or he would have had issues fitting them. I think the sensor is originally from this vehicle as it looks like it has been removed and re-fitted into this pipe. My issue is only finding the plug in the loom that the sensor plugs into! there is so much wiring under there and so little space to actually see anything that ive given up finding it without some clues from other owners as to where it is :) The light is definitely on due to the sensor as i have had this checked and the machine threw up a lambda fault.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so if the sensor lead/plug is just dangaling around, hold it out to its extent and move it to diferant directions, then you might find its mate

regards malcolm
SatanicSynergie

I know, im kicking myself because it sounds so stupid and so simple but ive tried that and i just cant find anything it would plug into :oops: i have been to citroen too and they are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe you have a lump of loom with no plug on it ( like previous owner lopped it of the loom side of the plug,

as i said earlyer ask the person you got the car from if you could look under his bonnet to trace its location

were abouts are you ( appart from under the bonnet )

regards malcolm
SatanicSynergie

Thanks Malcolm. From what i can gather the previous keeper never got his hands dirty, and his local garage did everything, they would have changed the exhaust for him and so i doubt any loom has been cut off, the fact they didnt plug it back in suggests to me its a f***** to get to!
Spencer, under the bonnet, cardiff.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok but if you show him yours he might show you his

TEA HE
regards malcolm
Thermonuclear
My Cars:

Post by Thermonuclear »

Don't know if the wiring is the same as a 1.8 16V Xantia, but my one plugs in on top of the gearbox. The lead runs from the sensor to a clamp on the cylinder head behind and below the connector for the ignition coil, and then down to the top of the gearbox, below the selector rod connection. If you like, I can take and post photos of it.
1996 Xantia 1.9 TD
1998 Xantia 1.8 16V
SatanicSynergie

Thanks alot gents, after having a word with myself i spent nearly 2 hours today determined to find the b*^%$&+ and have! Where was it i hear you ask! underneath the ALTERNATOR! :shock: yes you heard right chaps it runs almost right round the engine bay! anyway, plugged it in reset the ecu and presto, runs like a peach now and the management light is off. hopefully now i can look forward to some sort of fuel economy.....