Alloys - locking wheel nuts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The standard wheel brace is no good without the special key.
Unfortunately there are no shortcuts.

Whereabouts are you ?
A kind Citrowner near you may be able to help you out -

(no, I'm over the Channel - cant help you :lol: )
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I believe that there are a few basic patterns but they are definitely not all the same.
Some tyre places carry spares but not all and not every variant.
The standard procedure is to attach a tool that will remove them but pretty much destroys them in the process - my son had a flat and called the AA that did this for him and charged £70 for a replacement set - he then found the missing key in the car, the following day.

Post a photo of the bolt heads and someone here may have one you can borrow to get them out. You will likely have to buy a new set with a key if you can't find the old one. Worth turning the car inside out to try and recover it as they are quite pricey.

p.s. mine look suspiciously like those that were on my son in law's Mondeo a few years back.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Do you mean nuts or bolts ?

If it's bolts then this is what happened to me -

When I got my C5 I couldn't get one of the wheel bolts out because the locking bolt adaptor wouldn't engage. It was fine on the other three wheels.

So, I ordered 4 standard bolts to replace the unreliable lockers. I then took the car to my local tyre dealer, who has vast experience in removing awkward locking bolts, and asked him to have a go. He had an impact device which he usually uses for this situation. It's a set of adaptors which can be hammered over any remaining stud sticking out and it bites into the end of the bolt and often gets enough of a grip to take it out. But, his impact device couldn't remove it. So, he used a mig welder to weld a bolt to my locking bolt. I was impressed. He showed real skill in doing it. He then just used a spanner to turn the bolt out.

It cost me about £20. I threw the locking bolts away.

The tyre dealer told me that locking bolts are a nightmare and they're always failing to come out when customers turn up for a quick tyre change.

So, either look on ebay to get one of these impact devices, or try your local tyre centre. They're probably very experienced in removing locking bolts and nuts.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its usualy a set of various sized impact sockets with a realy course left hand thread inside, you use these with an impact drive and a big hammer to start them off, once they have got hold of the ofending bolt you can just use a half inch drive tool on them,

the only thing i found when useing these is the bolt some times has a loose colar around the side of the head, you will need to remove this first, otherwise it will just go rind and rind,( common english round and round )

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

get byour metal detector out and go for a wallk then TEA HE
regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

superloopy1 wrote:Thanks people ...i'm going to turn everything out tomorrow but i think i 'lost' the key by leaving it on one of the bolts last time i ad the wheel off, could be anywher by now between here (Whitley Bay) and Sheffield :cry:
I hadn't realised you were so close - send me a photo of your locking nuts and I'll see if it matches mine and I can get it up to you.
Pretty busy clearing up after the builders but should be able to get up to Whitley Bay. Although I have only been once before and vowed never to return as I got stuck down a back street and ripped the wing mirror off the Xantia :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always thought they were all slightly diferant so one would not fit another

rewgards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think that that is the idea Malcolm but there isn't an infinite variety, as with any lock.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Superloopy, here is chapter and verse on Citroen anti-theft bolts and alloy wheels.

Citroen have made two different patterns, the earlier peg type and the later spline type. They are not interchangeable and the variations are such that trying to find one off another owner that might fit your car is difficult.

You can go to Citroen and order the part, as it will be listed against the car's VIN and they should be able to supply a pattern.

There are a number of variations on trade removal tools, very few of which will fit within the deep recess on Citroen alloy wheels. I know, I have a number of different types.

If your car is fitted with the early peg type, the only options are
a. get the right adaptor from Citroen.
b. drill into spigot on the head and fit a BIG easyout.
c. weld a bolt onto the head.

If your car is fitted with the later spline type, the only options are
a. get the right adaptor from Citroen.
b. drill into spigot on the head and fit a BIG easyout.
c. weld a bolt onto the head.
d. Buy the trade removal tool from Snap-on or try the one Halfords sell.

If you were closeby, I could have your wheels off fairly quickly, having resolved this problem a number of times. Buy yourself a set of regular bolts and ditch the anti-theft items, unless you have expensive tyres on the car.

Handyman
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you have the 'peg' type, it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate an adapter - all depends on what your time is worth!
I'd start by using plasticene or similar to obtain an accurate pattern of the holes. Take a deep nut (or short bit of hex bar) and drill out the hole positions, then fit pegs in these. I guess the pegs ought to be hardened, but a mild steel lashup should get you out of trouble.

If you have Secur'Roues nuts, I understand that replacement keys are available from

AJIMEX
39, rue Ampère 39,
77400 LAGNY SUR MARNE

Tel 01.60.07.28.02
Fax 01.60.07.41.45
mail : info@ajimex.fr

at 15 Euro each. Just send either the code or a 'print' of the nuts.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would not think a home made tool out of mild steel will work, as i have known the proper peg type tool to fail due to the wheel stud beeing to tight

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats why you lost it so you would get to free of and i hope lubricate the spare wheel rack fixing bolt/thread, you knew there was a reason

regards malcolm