overfilled c5 gearbox please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axford

overfilled c5 gearbox please help

Post by axford »

Hi,
My gearbox on a C5 2.0 hdi 2001 was overfilled by a litre.I didn,t know and ran it for 3 months.When it started showing worrying signs I drained it and refilled with clean correct oil at the right level (1.8 litres).
It ran fine for 3 months but has now started being reluctant at time to go into third and fourth.When it is in gear it runs perfect and goes into 1 and 2 always without difficulty.
Does anyone know what is going on inside.Am I right in thinking its the synchromesh ring.Can it be repaired and can you buy internal gearbox parts separately at Citroen.
Any help from anyone that knows would be much appreciated asap.Thanks in advance.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would have thought unless its an AUTO box, the only problem you will get by over fill, is the clutch slipping due to oil getting pessed the input shaft seal, then onto the clutch,

were abouts are you, as i know a very good gear box repairer, who would tell you what and how much

regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Malcolm
off topic but does this chap do Auto's ?

John
axford

Post by axford »

That sounds hopeful Malcolm.I,m in Cumbria.Where's your man?(it's manual box )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

he is in Hastings east sussex,his name is Keith AMG gearbox's 01424 716733,

and John im sure he dose

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with citronut, I can't see that overfilling the gearbox would have caused the problem. Generally the more oil you can get in the better, unless it leaks out of course!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My best bet is the clutch in need of adjustment, because of a failing auto adjuster on the clutch cable.
Worst case I guess is a new cable with a functional auto adjuster.
Nothing to do with the gearbox oil level - at all.

There is nothing in your description that points to any consequences of an overfilling.
Overfilling of a manual gearbox rarely have any serious consequences, apart from oil possibly leaking out the primary (input) shaft seal, and perhaps reaching the clutch friction surfaces.

Note here my usage of the word possibly. There is no assurance that it will happen :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Anders
axford said his gear box was overfilled by 1lt, so he drained it and put the corect amount back in

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:Anders
axford said his gear box was overfilled by 1lt, so he drained it and put the corect amount back in

regards malcolm
Yes 8)

And still : I believe there are no consequences from usage during overfilling ...
Sorry my bad english :wink:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with what you say Anders, regarding the non faliure of a manual gear box due to overfill,

but i have seen contaminated clutches due to this fault,

also dose this car have a cable or hydraulic clutch actuater

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:i agree with what you say Anders, regarding the non faliure of a manual gear box due to overfill,

but i have seen contaminated clutches due to this fault,

also dose this car have a cable or hydraulic clutch actuater

regards malcolm
You got a point there malcolm.
If I read service.net correctly, its a hydraulic clutch actuator. NOT a cable with auto adjuster.
So unfortunately you may well be right on the clutch contamination, as this tends to give snatching gearchanges, because the friction plate surafces are disturbed by the burnt (glazed) oil :cry:
axford

Post by axford »

When I drained the oil it was black and on the inside of the drain plug was loads of bits like if you put iron filings on a magnet only they weren't metal and disintergrated when rubbed off onto a cloth.I used halfords -specially for cit gearbox oil.Does anyone think it would help if I drained and refilled with proper cit gearbox oil ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

has the container got the spec on it anywhere, you should be able to compare it with what it says in your owners hand book, acording to the hand book in front of me it says TOTAL TRANSMISSION BV 75 W/80 W, it should not matter a great deal what make you use

regards malcolm
axford

Post by axford »

Have just drained it and oil has turned into baileys irish cream.What the hell is going on .I,ve got a horrible feeling that this box is as stuffed as a christmas turkey.Any miracles anyone?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mr Axford - Sir !

Where did you remove the drain plug under the car - and where did you pour in your gear oil ?

I have some horror feelings that there might be a slight problem here ...