Smoking on start up Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Smoking on start up Xantia

Post by Napoleon »

I'm not overly concerned about it, but I've noticed what to me seems like quite a bit of whitish smoke from the exhaust when first starting.

Car has 74K, and is M reg 1995.

Any particular concerns over Xantias that smoke in this way?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Maybe glow plug(s) failing?
bit of unburned diesel from one cylinder if it starts up OK.
Or perhaps you just need to let the glow plugs run a bit longer?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you are doing mainly short trips, then the exhaust is always very damp. May even contain a good splash of water in the damper boxes.

If you drill a small drain hole (3mm) in the rear damper lowest part, you will get a longer lasting damper box, and most likely lesser start up smoke.
Be prepared for a shower once the drill penetrates the damper ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

ok chaps, thanks.

Myglaren - aren't I just limited to the amount of time the glowplugs are on anyway? Or do you mean use them twice? (ignition on/off/on?).
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Napoleon wrote:ok chaps, thanks.

Myglaren - aren't I just limited to the amount of time the glowplugs are on anyway? Or do you mean use them twice? (ignition on/off/on?).
I had a tendency to crank it before the glowplug lights went out.
Can't do that with my son's 306 but it worked OK with the Xantia - most of the time.

You are right that the glowplugs are timed but they do run on after the light goes out, try waiting an extra few seconds but unless Anders diagnosis is correct - and I suspect it has more weight than my theory - it seems to me that one of your glowplugs may be ailing. Starting will be getting harder now the nights are colder.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Ok, that's valuable to know/keep in my mind when starting.

FWIW, I have been watching the oil level since I got the car two weeks ago.

The after I got it back, I went to start it and saw that one of the idiot lights was on for longer than it should be - it's the oil level light I think. Looks like a shower unit, if you follow me.

Anyway, I checked the oil dipstick, it was a bit down, enough for me to put some in. Henceforth the light has extinguished within the required five seconds.

And on subsequent oil level checks it's been normal. But with this smoke, I was wondering if it was a sign of worn rings? Maybe I'm over-worrying? Surely 73K is relatively nothing, at least to cause ring wear?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A bit of smoke from a diesel on startup is perfectly normal Tim. A puff of whitish/grey smoke usually.

Smoke is a useful diagnosis tool on a diesel. White/grey is unburned/partially burned fuel, black is sooty stuff as a result of insufficient air (blocked air filter/bad injectors) and blue smoke is burned lubricating oil.

White/grey smoke often smells a bit parafinny, confirming it's unburned state.

Anders offers and excellent tip as lots of condensation collects this time of year.

If your engine starts readily (nearly instantly), your glowplugs are OK and if the smoke clears virtually instantly, no worries at all. If you are putting out a smokescreen then you have a concern but otherwise..

If you have any doubts about the glowplugs, change them at this time of the year as they'll play a very vital role in the coming months.

If you have a tiny air leak on the fuel inlet side of the pump that allows air in and fuel level to fall in the pump a bit overnight, that can cause a bit of smoke on startup. This problem is normally accompanied by a touch of lumpy running in the first few seconds after startup.

Oil consumption should be more or less zero on the 1.9TD. Oil burning is very rare and the engine at your mileage is not even run in yet. They're just nicely loosened up at 200K :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Thanks Jim

I know someone who has a Pug 405 and has just changed the 'plugs on that - is it the same operation?

This is his engine:
Last edited by Napoleon on 16 May 2010, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Glow plug change info HERE

Have fun :wink:
Richard W
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I can confirm what Jim says about an air leak in the fuel pipes causing white smoke on startup, as I've got that on my ZX. I would check along the length of your fuel pipes and joints to see if there's any diesel leaking. However sometimes you can get an air leak in but there's no diesel leaking out.

Paul